18. Truth Be Told

I'm silent as I sit in the backseat of Allison's car, staring ahead with dead eyes at the road. Allison was now driving Lydia home, who surprisingly was just as quiet at me. She asked a few questions when we had first gotten into the car, but now she looked like she was scared to ask anything. I honestly felt bad for her, since all of this must be so confusing to her. Not to mention the fact that she's been hearing me in her head.

Lydia wasn't the only one who was quiet. Allison hardly said anything as well this whole time, probably because her mind was spinning with the new information we had just learned. Jackson, who I barely even know, was the Kanima. Furthermore, we don't know where he went and what he was planning to do, which is what Scott and Stiles are doing now. They had jumped into the Jeep and taken off before anyone could ask questions, along with Derek and his pack.

I wanted desperately to talk to Allison, but I knew not to say anything. Lydia could still hear me, and I didn't want to make her seem crazier than what she already thinks she is. Plus, it wasn't like Allison could say anything back. Well, at least not yet.

The car slows to a stop as Allison pulls into Lydia's driveway, putting the car in park. The two of them sit silently for a moment before Allison turns to Lydia, running her fingers through her hair. "Lydia...I need you to promise me you won't say anything about what happened tonight."

"I'll promise not to say anything about what happened, if I even knew what happened!" Lydia snaps, causing me to shut my eyes. I knew that this wasn't going to end well, and I most certainly didn't want to watch.

Allison sighs as I open my eyes again. "It's kind of complicated-"

"How about you start with Derek, or Erica," Lydia says, her tone softening. "Or where the hell Jackson went."

Allison purses her lips as her head lowers, not sure how to answer any of these questions. Lydia deserved the truth, but I knew that Allison wasn't prepared to tell her. She only wanted to protect her friend, but sometimes the truth is what helps them the most.

"What? Do you need time to come up with a plausible lie?" Lydia says, reaching for the door handle of the car.

"Part of the reason I'm asking is because of Jackson," Allison says, reaching for Lydia.

Lydia turns and looks at Allison, her expression changing. "I promise I'll keep whatever reason you want me to stay quiet, quiet."

Allison licks her lips. "You still care for him, don't you?"

Lydia's jaw tightens. "No-I mean, I shouldn't."

"Then do this for him," Allison says, her voice soft.

Lydia tries to get out of the car once again. "I don't owe him anything."

"Lydia!" Allison says, stopping her from getting out of the car. "Try and remember something for me."

"Remember what?" she says, shaking her head.

Allison takes a deep breath. "Remember what it feels like to see him standing down the hall, knowing that he's waiting for you. Knowing that you can't breathe until you're with him. Or the times you stare at the clock, waiting for the seconds to count down until you can see him again. Don't you remember what that feels like?"

I wonder to myself how Allison got so descriptive, since as far as I know, she hasn't had a boyfriend. Well, none that I've heard about anyways. Whoever she must be talking about must be special.

"No," Lydia says coldly, her eyes staring off into space.

Allison shakes her head. "What? You've had boyfriends."