04. Stuck In The Middle

Allison explained everything to me on the car ride to the funeral. She started from the very beginning with how Scott, the guy who I saw last night, was a werewolf and that his friend, Stiles, was just some sarcastic guy who wished to be gay. For some reason, I wasn't as shocked about it all as I should have been. Maybe because I died softened the blow I suppose. There was only one question I had left.

"What are you?" I ask Allison as her eyes fix on the road in front of her.

Allison takes a deep breath. "That's the thing. I'm not sure."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Are you telling me you're something supernatural?"

Allison shakes her head. "God, no! I just don't know who I am."

This confuses me even more. "What are you talking about?"

"I mean," Allison begins. I can tell this story was going to be a long one. "My family is all hunters. It's been in our blood for the past few centuries. We have this code that I don't agree with, which is 'we hunt those who hunt us'. Scott is my friend, so how am I supposed to hunt him? That's where I get confused. I'm meant to be a hunter, but I don't fully want to be. Sure, I'm good at archery and have combat skills, but I'm not a killer. The reason my aunt is dead is because she broke that code. She killed innocents and finally karma caught back up with her. I guess one of the reason's I'm scared to be a hunter is that I'll end up like her someday. If I'm going to die a hunter, I want to do it saving someone, not getting my throat sliced open by some crazed alpha werewolf."

I nod my head slowly, still trying to process all of this. "So what you're saying is, is that you're somewhere stuck in the middle?"

Allison nods. "Yeah, pretty much."

I chuckle. "Kind of ironic since I'm technically stuck in the middle..."

Allison laughs. "Wow, Corey."

I smile as I stare at Allison's pearly white teeth. "I just have one more question. What exactly did your Aunt do?"

Allison takes another deep breath. "Well, about five or six years ago, there was a house full of werewolves and humans. Kate burned the whole Hale house down, killing everyone inside except for one person, who's name is Peter, the crazed Alpha. Anyways, other than Peter, the only Hale left was Derek, who was Peter's nephew. But Kate broke the code of killing innocents and Peter came after her for killing his family. That was the night I watched Peter slice open Kate's throat right in front of me."

My eyes soften. "I'm so sorry, Allison."

"Don't be," Allison says before straightening up. "If i'm going to be a hunter, or be in the middle, I need to be strong. I can't be a cry baby who needs someone to protect her."

I nod my head slowly. "So have you already had training?"

Allison shakes her head. "No, but my dad is supposed to start that soon. If I had to guess, it'd be sometime completely random."

I don't get to say anything as we pull up to the grave yard, seeing a whole crowd of news reporters and camera men. I widen my eyes as Allison sighs, not wanting to do this.

"This Kate character must have been pretty popular," I state while Allison smiles.

"I guess you can say that," Allison says before getting out of the car and walking up to the graveyard. I follow after her as I walk through the people, glad of how easy this was. I grew angry as Allison tried pushing her way through the crowd, the people shoving cameras and microphones in her face. If I was alive right now I'd be shoving all of these people back.

Allison finally makes it through the crowd of people before heading towards the other group of people, who I suspected being her family. I walked by and stared them all in the face and tried to picture them as werewolf hunters, but couldn't. They all seemed so nice and kind, not a blood thirsty killer.