To Be Broken or to Break Another Soul

I compel the bouncer of the club then I storm inside. I scan the area until I hear her laugh. I walk over to her, my chest burning with fury. I grab her wrist and her head flips around, her chocolate brown hair twisting with her.

"Outside. Now." I pull her with me and she twists and struggles, straining to be free of my grasp. "Stop fighting or I will break your arm." I growl. I pull her into the alleyway. "Hi honey, I'm home." She stares at me in shock. "Damon." She glares at me before standing up. "What are you doing here."

"I'm here because you're a crazy psychotic bitch! You left our son?!? You just gave him away like he was nothing to you?!?"

"I could care less, Damon. You're back, why don't you raise him?" She walks back over to the door. I pin her against the wall by her throat. "Oh, I know about your little plan. You shut it off, just like a coward would!" I throw her to the other side. "You think Christian wouldn't tell me everything?!? You think I'm a coward for raising our son while you and Evie were gone? You. Gave. Up!" She growls.

"I did what you were too selfish to do. You decided that it would be best to raise Sam under a drunken vampire father rather than giving him the best chance. You just didn't want me to leave you. Again." She kicks me against the wall this time. "My sweet, loving, Damon. I thought you'd know better than to challenge me." She runs her hands up my chest. I flip our positions and I stare at her. "How many guys did you cheat on me with, hm?"

"None, actually. I'm emotionless but I'm still picky. Nobody was able to get the fire started in me that you did, Damon." She giggles and I growl. "Don't. Lie. Tell me."

"I'm not lying, surprisingly. As much as I hate to admit it, you were always pretty good in the sack." I let her go. She scans me. "Well? Aren't you going to kiss me, pout at me, try to make me feel again?"

"Does little Elena want to play?"

"Just kiss me."

"Hmm... Maybe I will. But then again, you are an emotionless bitch."

"Emotionless but willing."

"I would never cheat on my wife."

"I am your wife!"

"No, you aren't. This is her body, but not her heart."

"Damn it Damon JUST KISS ME!" She yells. I shake my head. "You really are desperate for affection, aren't you? Well, until you decide to be the beautiful woman I fell in love with, you can rot in hell."

"Damon-"

"Don't. You're not the only reason I have for living. Up until the point where you decide to be a mother and a wife, I'll be taking care of my son." I go to walk away when she says, "he's beautiful, isn't he? Caleb, I mean." She wears a smug smile on her face. "I used to hold out hope that this would happen one day, but then I realized that there was no point. Hope makes you miserable. It's like a drug, you get a addicted then it screws you. Don't hold out hope for me." I grab her face in my hands and I slam my lips against hers. She sighs and I pull her into me by her waist. I break away from her and I begin walking again. "Y-You can't just do that!"

"You bet your ass I can. Flip the switch if you ever want more." I get back into my car and I drive back to Evie's house. Caleb runs up to me when I open the door. "Daddy! Where's Mama?"

"We have to wait a little longer to get her back, Caleb." His face falls but he nods. Evie walks into the hall. I shake my head. "Caleb, go play with Kali." I tilt my head at her then she smiles. She leads me into a room and a little girl sits there. "Hey girl, there's someone I want you to meet." She turns and looks at me. My breath is taken away. Her hair is jet black and her eyes a beautiful brown. But not like Elena's, they're like... Christian's?

"You don't remember anything from the other side, do you?" I shake my head, still staring at the little girl. "Kali, this is my Daddy." She grins. "Hi Grandpa!" I smile at her. Evie smiles at me.

"Dad, this is Christian's and my daughter." I smile at her again and she goes back to coloring. We walk out of the room. "So... Klaus wasn't lying. You were pregnant." She nods.

"How old is she?"

"Almost five. Caleb turned five in-"

"January." She smiles and nods. "She looks so much like Christian." She nods and smiles. "He was thrilled when he found out. It was the only thing that made us happy after Mom left." I gulp and she looks at me. "Dad, this isn't your fault. I don't like what she did, but she did it. It was her choice."

"Choices..." I shake my head. "They're the worst thing in the world. I know she'll never admit it, but she blames me for my death."

"Why do you say that?"

"It was you and Sam or Caleb. I didn't know what would happen, I just knew that I had to die. I think that she thought after I died, you two would be killed anyways. Along with Caleb." She nods. "We haven't seen Klaus since that night. Dad," I look at her, "we found a way to kill him."

Elena's POV

I storm into my apartment and I begin breaking things.

He's back.

I try to push away every emotion, grabbing my head and sliding to the floor. I growl then with one more broken item, I'm still completely and utterly emotionless. I laugh and I begin cleaning. When I'm finished, I drive to the Salvatore Boarding House. When I walk in, Damon stands in front of the fireplace, a drink in his hand.

"Hi honey, I'm home." He turns around and I flash him a gruesome smile. "What the hell are you doing here?" He grumbles. "I'm here to raise my son. You made it sound so exciting." He shakes his head. "You're a bitch."

"Ouch." He laughs. "You don't have emotions," I lift an eyebrow, "no ouch." He turns back around and takes a drink out of the glass. "Well, I figured since I'm home I'd unpack," I lean into his ear from behind, "I'll see you later tonight, roomie." I brush my fingers across his shoulder then I head upstairs. Soon he walks in. "Joining me so soon?"

"No. I'm telling you to get out."

"I'm a Salvatore too, you know."

"Not the house," he rolls his eyes, "I couldn't be happier that you're here. Gives me the chance to keep an eye on you."

"A close eye I hope."

"This is my room. My wife's room. I've made it very clear that you aren't my wife."

"Don't be that way," I pout at him. "I'm still your wife." He looks at me. "You think I fell in love with you because of your body? You think I fell in love with that part of you?"

"Then give me another reason why you used to have sex with me so much."

"I fell in love with your eyes, your smile. I love you because your heart saved mine. Your soul saved mine. You saved me and that's why I'm in love with you. I don't use you. I have sex with you to show you how much I love you, and right now you can't feel jack shit!" I take a deep breath as I stare at him. "We can still be friends," I give him a sly smile, "with benefits."

"No way in hell. Get out."

"Damon-"

"Elena," he looks at me without emotion, his eyes empty. It strikes a chord in me and I swallow. "Go." I walk out of the room and I take a couple deep breaths.

I need to watch out. He can't have this impact on me.

"Daddy?" I look over and my resolve almost breaks. I clear my throat. "Mama?!?" He runs over to me and hugs my legs. I run a hand over his hair before lifting him up. He hugs me and I close my eyes. "Hello Caleb." My lip begins to tremble so I set him down and I walk away.

Damon's POV

I watch her, my eyes wide and my mouth dropped open. I go out of my room and I lift Caleb up. "Hey little man."

"What's wrong with Mama?"

"She's just sick. That's not who she is." He nods. "Will you do something for me, Caleb?" He nods again. "Stay away from Mama for the time being. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I will, Daddy. I'll stay away," he replies sadly. "Good. Come on, let's go to bed, little man."