"Imogen, your socks are awful. At least take a perfectly clean pair of hers," He rubbed his temple, obviously irritated with me. I complied and changed my socks, knocking over a pair of high topped converse as I did.

"You're a nine right?" He picked up the right shoe and handed it to me. Once again it still had the tags on. They were so pretty; a dark pink color with clean white laces.

"Declan-"

Then he, gently, knocked me backwards and took my boots away. I felt like an apocalypse style Cinderella when he put the stupid shoes on. As much as I liked them, I felt like stealing a dead girl's shoes was so wrong. He took my boots and put them back in his duffle.

"You guys ready?" Tristan knocked. "You'll be in the back to take out anyone in case we get tailed."

We tossed our bags in the pile at our feet. The guitar was sitting in the trunk, much to my dismay...

"It's a ten hour drive. Anyone have to pee?" I smacked Declan for that one.

***

I couldn't stop yawning. I was so exhausted that the tiredness was this impending fog desperate to drown me.

"Sleep," Declan played with my hair, pulling pieces in and out of my braid. Tristan had spent the last fifteen minutes explaining how to braid- with me as the unfortunate dummy. Every time Declan yanked mu hair I'd wince, which made him feel terrible and apologetic.

"Nope, your braiding skills are keeping me awake," I chirped, trying to read the same paragraph over and over again. He gently rested my head in his lap and let me extend my legs over the backseat. A blanket covered me against my will.

I looked up at him, met his big blue eyes, and felt my stomach fill with vicious wasps. I hated that he made me nervous. He was only a boy- a person like me. Well, I was only sort of a person so you get the idea.

"Sleep," He playfully ordered me.

"I don't like what I see when I close my eyes," I felt my voice breaking. Every time I talked about it I was reminded with this ugly truth, I killed and ate three people.

"Dream of me," He stroked my face, from my temple to my jaw. It faintly tickled, relaxing me.

Obediently, I closed my eyes.

    I just kept them closed so he wouldn't know I was awake. Stubborn, I refused to allow myself to sleep.

    I may have accidentally fallen asleep though.

    I woke up when we started running over Creatures.

    *****

After we'd succeeded in crushing a ton of them under the wheels of our car- blood splattering like a grotesque paintball game-, Declan and I climbed out of the car. My gun was loaded as I took aim at the Creature 50 yards to the left.

    Right through the eye.

    We cleared the road on the horizon before I retired to my knives. I chose a serrated blade from my belt and buried it in the forehead of the nearest zombie. Blood splattered all over my hands and arms, disturbingly to my delight.

    "Dang," Declan muttered as I lunged for my next target.

    She was the girl from the auditorium. The one who let them take her back without another thought.

    She was staring at me.

    Not attacking- just staring. Her head cocked to the side and she let out this moan from the back of her throat. It was almost like an empty statement. But somehow, I knew exactly what she meant. You aren't so different from me.