Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

In the books, the person may say something along the lines of; I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding. Instead, I woke up exhaling as though I was finally breathing. I'd dreamt that I was Layla... that I had been the one who couldn't breathe.

It felt real too, like someone had filled my lungs with fire and toxins. I felt my scar as though it was being ripped open again by teeth. I felt the poison starting with my lungs and pumping through my heart like it had when I was becoming Hybrid. But in my dream, I turned completely and lost the limited control I had. My body felt the same as it did now; stronger and faster like the undead Creatures. But I couldn't stop myself from eating my best friend. It felt like the aggression I'd had with the Creature earlier; uncontrollable and disturbingly appealing.

I was breathing in and out quickly, feeling like throwing up. The dream was disgustingly graphic, considering the lifetime of gore I'd experienced.Deep breaths were key as I ventured into the small kitchen. I hitched up the top of my tank to make sure I wasn't bearing any cleavage in case my friends were around. Rubbing my exposed arms to warm them, I pulled out the teapot and took advantage of the fire in the fireplace.

"What's that?" Tristan yawned, settling down in the chair next to me. But he was suddenly alert, watching my very move within seconds of looking at me.

"Tea," I poured the hot water into a mug and stuck the bag into the steaming cup. "Want any?"

"Not what I meant and yes," He frowned, eyes fixed at my hands and arms as I poured him some. Then I realized I wasn't wearing the bandage.

His hands were on his gun, barely resting there.

Oh. Crap.

I dropped the empty pot and jumped back grabbing my knife. "Don't shoot. Please. I can explain." This sucks. What am I supposed to say? I can't Google; how to explain you a half-zombie without getting a bullet to the face.

"You better, missy," Tristan frowned. "That's a bite from one of them right? Are you immune or something?"

"No, I'm not Todd," I rolled my eyes. He raised his eyebrows. "You know? From Zombie Island? It's a book."

"I take this fictional boy is immune," He chuckled nervously. At least I had him laughing and not shooting...

"Yeah. I'm not-" His hands were at his gun as I spoke. "I'm Hybrid."

"I don't understand," He shook his head and blinked blankly at me. "You aren't a Creature but you aren't immune?"

"I'm- I don't know what I am," I confessed, sitting down next to him. I showed him my arm. "When I got bit, it was like fire in my lungs and my veins. I expected to lose control and have it all end- but I woke up. Not literally, cuz I was already awake. I just- I got stronger and faster. I could see everything razor sharp, better than with glasses. And I could hear too- everything. Like I could feel the other Creatures around."

"Like a spider sense?" He was trying to have a basis for whatever was happening.

"Not Spider-Man," I grinned. I loved Spider-Man, so having him compared to my crappy life wasn't ideal.

"That explains why those things are hard to kill sometimes. They don't seem so smart- do they use those senses or whatever to find each other?"

"And the hearing I think," I sighed sipping from the scalding liquid. "I just don't understand why I didn't go on a killing spree with the horde. I ended up killing the others in a way that felt unreal. I don't know how to explain it."