Before: Part 2

I held my fathers hand in mine. He was colder than usual. My mom walked in and she sat down in a chair beside the bed. After what seemed like hours my dad awoke. He smiled when he saw me. He wasn't fully healed, but he was alive. A doctor came in and checked on my dad. The doctor looked troubled and asked my mom if he could talk to her outside. That got me worried.

I looked back at my dad and saw him smiling. "You are so beautiful, my little angel." He kissed my head and then the doctor walked back into the room with my mom. Just then my dad started struggling for breath. Nurses came rushing in and I stayed back with my mom watching. After a few seconds of chaos the nurses stepped back and my father called for me to come to him. I walked to the side of the bed.

"What's wrong daddy?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm afraid not my angel. But just remember, I love you more than the stars."

"I love you too daddy." My father took his last breath and fell into what seemed like an eternal sleep.

Tears were running down my cheeks. My mom hugged me and I hugged her. I didn't quite understand death but I knew there was no coming back from it. I gave my father one last hug before the doctors covered him up. I looked at the bed and just cried.