Chapter 25: Words Whispered through Prison Bars

Start from the beginning

Abigail quickly stepped out of sight and pulled Addison with her. The girl whimpered at the tight grip, but followed dutifully, not that she had a choice.

"You are to take this note into the prison," Abigail whispered. "But hide it from sight until you are inside. Baylor is a fool; he will not question you too much. Say you are visiting a friend."

"But will he not ask for a name?"

"Give the name Silverton," Abigail instructed. "Ross Silverton. I checked my husband's ledgers, he was arrested earlier this week for public intoxication. Say he is a family friend and you wish to speak with him."

"B-but I hardly know this man!"

Abigail slapped her out of frustration. "Do you think that bloody matters, foolish girl?! Baylor does not know that! Or do you plan on recounting your whole life story to him?"

"N-n-o!" Addison wailed, placed a hand over the red spot on her cheek. "I will do as you say."

"Once you are inside, find Arthur Denning's cell, and give this to him," Abigail handed her the note. "Do not open it, do you understand? Not even a peek. Make sure he gets it, and then leave at once! Do not stay for a chat. I will give you ten minutes, and if you are not out by then, you can sleep there, do you understand?"

"Y-yes, ma'am..."

"Go, then!"

XXX

Addison hurried as quickly as she could away from the fuming Abigail Quincy. What sort of mental pestilence had taken over that woman was a mystery to her, but she did as she was told and headed straight for the prison. She carried herself with poise, and tried her best not to crumble under pressure.

Why did I have to be the one to come with her?

Addison rarely, if ever, was permitted to leave the house. Everyone thought she was so loose that she would try to run away, which was not too far from the truth. When she had first arrived here, looking for work, she had hated life at the Quincy home, and wanted to leave. There was always shouting and arguments between the Magistrate and his wife. They never got along. And, when they did, from what Addison saw, it was always forced. She always suspected that one of them would try and end the marriage, but it never happened. Then, Lucy came along and that was a shock. When she was born, everyone suspected that the married couple had reconciled, because before that they had not been talking, it was even rumored that they slept in separate rooms. Not long after that, Lydia was born, and it was confirmed that they were back on good terms.

But then the arguments started once more, as if they had never ended. Every night there was something. It was as if Abigail wanted to start a fight with him just for the sake of it. She wanted a reaction out of him and he gave it. Both of them had tempers, that was no secret. But this bout did not last, because the Magistrate ended up calming down for one reason or the other. It was as if he had found peace within himself to accept his lot and live with it. He smiled more often, and even greeted the servants. Even with the Arthur Denning case, he seemed at ease, almost too much. He went on nightly strolls and came back almost... Reborn. Addison found it most peculiar, especially when it seemed to just get better and better with no threat of it crashing down any time soon, as it had done so many times before.

Whatever it was that had possessed the Magistrate to make such a change, Addison thanked it. She actually liked her life in the Quincy home now. She had no thoughts of running away in months. She enjoyed her chores, even with a temperamental and jittery Abigail Quincy to live with.

"Good morning," Addison smiled at Baylor, who looked like wanted to be anywhere else other than on duty.

"You're the Quincy's maid, are you not?" He asked, frowning down at her.