Chapter 1

The silent breeze of a new born winter blew and caressed her face slowly.

A small smile crept upto her lips feeling the calmness of the surrounding. Also tears were silently trailing down on her cheeks.She fixed her glasses and put her head on the side of window sill.

Her long hairs were dancing to the rhythm of the wind and she was busy in her own thoughts.

She used to remember her mother a lot in this type of silence. She felt like her mother is slowly talking to her by means of the passing wind.

The caravan of her thoughts was broken by the beeping sound of her mobile. She left the window and came to her bed where her mobile was placed.

She knew the caller who had the guts to disturb her in this hour of night.

Zaid Bhai..

She smiled seeing his name on the screen.

He was fond of late night parties and his father was strictly against this. Now, they both were sure if his father caught him outside at this time, he had to bear the wrath of him.

" Hey partner, do me a favour.. ", Zaid spoke as soon as she picked up the call.

" I am opening the door Zaid bhai, Don't worry! ", she replied.

" You are the best, Shafaq..", his voice held gratefulness.

She cut the call and left her room.

******

"Naano, I have kept your warm water in the bathroom. Make your wudu quickly, I am waiting for Fajr.", she said entering Naano's room.

Naano smiled at her granddaughter. She never forgot to offer Fajr prayer and also waking her up for the same.

" God bless you my dear.", Naano blessed her putting her hand on her head and left for bathroom.

Shafaq smiled and sat on her bed waiting for Naano.

" Have Zaid woke up for Fajr?", Naano asked after performing her prayer.

" I have woken him by knocking at his door, he might be offering his prayer.", she replied not looking in her eyes.

" Again the late night party?", Naano asked.

She nodded hesitantly. Naano knew that Shafaq always tried to cover up for her cousin.

" I don't know, when this boy will get serious in his life..", Naano mumbled.

" At the right time, Naano..", she said giving her sideways hug.

******

" Come Shafu, finish your breakfast first.. ", Mumani called her from the dining hall.

She was preparing tea for everyone. Today would be her first day of B.Sc final year. She finished all her kitchen chores despite of Mumani's refusal.

" Here is your tea..", she smilingly said serving tea to Mamu and Mumani.

" So is our Shafu ready for the college?", Mamu asked Shafaq.

Shafaq nodded. She was kind of nervous attending the final year. Her palms were sweating and she was reciting Durood pak again and again.

" Don't be nervous chanda, everything will be fine.", Mumani said taking her cold hand in to hers.

" Where is our lazy fellow?", Mamu asked Mumani.

" Assalamualaikum.. ", Zaid hurried towards the dining table.

His appearance was showing that he again slept more than usual. His hairs were still wet from the shower, his college bag was hanging on his one shoulder, sea green coloured t-shirt with sky blue jeans was giving him a fresh look.

" Shafu, you don't have to worry about your subjects..", Mamu said looking at Zaid who was busy in his breakfast, " Zaid will help you, as he is studying these subjects for two years again and again."

" This boy has no sense of his responsibilities. ", Mamu mumbled.

Shafaq sensed Zaid's body tensed up on Mamu's comment.

He stood up angrily and left the house ignoring his mother's request to finish the breakfast.

" I have told you many times, not to disturb him while he is having his breakfast.. ", Mumani said with furrowed brows to Mamu.

Mamu began to read the newspaper ignoring her rambling. Shafaq bid her goodbye to Naano and both of them.

******

" Zaid bhai, here finish your breakfast first.", she said getting into passenger's seat of his car as usual.

Zaid didn't respond, his head was placed on the steering wheel.

" Zaid bhai. ", she called.

On her voice, he looked at Shafaq. She saw some unshed tears in his eyes.

" Bhai, We all just want to see you successful in your life. That's why,Mamu was saying that.", she said.

" He was not saying Shafaq,he just wants to hurt me through his words.", he spat angrily.

" Can I say something.. ", she asked fixing her glasses.

Taking his silence as yes she proceed, " Fathers are somewhat shy in showing affection, love towards their sons, so instead of that they like to scold them in order to get their attention. "

Zaid silently listened to her and at the end there was a smile on his lips.

" Not bad, partner. I will keep that in mind.", he said with a smile," You know, I want to get clear in my examinations too but I don't know where I am lagging behind?", he said.

" Inshaallah this time Allah will give you success. I am sure.", she said.

" Now, will you finish your breakfast? ", Shafaq asked.

Zaid threw his head back and laugh. " You are really stubborn.", shafaq smiled and handed him the box of snacks.

" One more thing..", he said and Shafaq turned to look at him.

" You will become a nice philosopher.", he said chewing on his breakfast.

She smiled and they left for their college.