Chapter 8

‘My dear child, what ails you?’ Father Timothy enquired, finding Sybrina with her head on her arm, sitting at his desk.

‘Oh Father, I’m to wed the Earl of Cavendish.’

‘Oh my child that is wonderful.  Congratulations.’

He approves of that Rake!

‘What?’ Sybrina exclaimed with surprise.

‘He’s a fine young lad.  He will keep you well Sybrina.’

‘I don’t want to marry him.  The Marquis__.’

‘For once I agree with your parent Sybrina.  You could not ask for a better husband.’

Oh, you think my father brought the Earl here and the Earl made a respectable offer!

‘I don’t want a husband Father.  I’d much rather stay here with you and Mother Agnes.’

‘Hush child.  You are but a  young lass.  This is not the life for a Lady.  You were not born for this my child.  Lord Cavendish is one of the good ones.  He is respectable and an honourable gentleman.  He treats all people with respect.  Not many of them Lords treat their staff kindly, more like slaves, but not him.  Trust me child, don’t throw him aside.  I have prayed that a respectable gentleman will make an offer for you.  The good Lord God above has heard and answered.  I know it child, be happy.'

How can I marry a man who does not love me? I will need to give him an heir.  How can I lay with him when he does not love me? 

‘Thank you for your prayers Father,’ Sybrina summoned an appreciative smile.

‘I came to fetch you dear one.  Agnes said to tell you most of the stalls have sold out.  We have made us enough money to fix this place right and bless all the children with new clothes and a special treat for each one of them.’

‘Oh Father, that makes me so happy.  Let me run out to Mother Agnes.'

Early the following morning Sybrina received a note, delivered by one of the Earl’s grooms.  He was not asking, nor inviting, but the note informed, he was picking her up at eight past the hour of midday, and that she was to put on something fancy.  As if that was not enough to get her in a real foul mood,  a second groom from Cavendish Castle arrived with a note that the Countess was coming to tea at ten.

Had the earl informed his mother of our impending marriage?  I bet I’m going to get a sermon about my comments of having no desire to wed her charming son!

‘Mother Agnes, it is a pleasure to see you again,’ the Countess greeted with that smile that never quite reached her eyes.

‘Countess it so good of you to visit,’ Mother Agnes curtsied politely.

‘Alexander was telling me about the good job the workmen have done.  I came to see,’ she beamed, finally deciding to acknowledge Sybrina’s presence.

‘Lady Carisbrooke, I believe?’ she questioned, turning her lips into an almost snarl.

Just how much does she know?

‘Countess,’ Sybrina acknowledged.

‘Lady Carisbrooke do you think we could take tea, if Mother Agnes is busy?’

What she meant was, she would like to engage in a frank discussion with me and Mother Agnes was not needed as a witness.

‘I do need to go to the market Sybrina.  I will ask Harriet to serve tea,’ Mother Agnes read between the Countess’s lines.