Prologue

‘Drat! It’s him!’ Sybrina jumped back in her seat and hastily closed the curtains in her carriage.

She had been busy admiring the scenery in Hyde Park, raising her face to the sky and smelling  the freshness of early spring, inhaling the scents of young blossoms in early bloom, watching the young lovers in step, being escorted by their chaperones a discreet distance away, when she caught sight of him riding  that majestic satin skinned Arabian grey.  
He looked so powerful and arresting on his horse, Lord Alexander Chauncey, Earl of Cavendish, more popularly known as the Rake of Cavendish.  He did not know who she was off course, but everybody knew the handsome Rake of Cavendish, with his devilish hazel eyes, chiseled cheek bones, and raven black hair, like a pirate’s hung long over his collar.  
Every young maiden, widow, and married woman looked twice at the Rake. He was not handsome in the traditional sense, with that intimidating scar above his left cheek, but it was thrilling in a way, that made you long to reach out and trace over that scar. What was she thinking it was most unbecoming of a lady to have such thoughts?

Sybrina sighed irritatedly.   She hated the propriety that society demanded, frowning upon a lady walking unescorted anywhere in public.
She had needed to be escorted by her chaperone if she went to the lending library, or to Bond Street or heaven help her, even if she wanted to take a walk in Hyde Park, desiring solitude, she could not escape by herself.

Her father had delighted in making her life a living hell, but thankfully she’d escaped that.
Now she was a free woman, or she liked to tell herself that.  Mother Agnes and the Sisters loved her and treasured her company.  She would not go back to her cruel father’s estate, she would rather die a beggar on the street, than be subjected to the vile proposition her father was demanding.

Sybrina forced the pained expression from her face.  Mother Agnes was rather perceptive, she best put on an expression that belied her troubled emotions.

‘You’re back so quickly from Grosvenor Square Estate dear,’ Mother Agnes Darcy smiled warmly. ‘How did it go with your father?’

Sybrina was conscious that behind the welcoming smile, Mother Agnes looked troubled.  Everybody feared her boorish, violent father. He contributed handsomely to Mother Agnes’ orphanage, if he pulled back his finances, the children would starve, maintenance of the building would suffer.  Sybrina studied the gutters and the ceiling that needed repairs. She desperately needed to come up with Plan B.

‘The usual Mother,’ she sighed inwardly, not wanting Mother Agnes to pick up on her inner turmoil.   ‘He’s found anther fifty something bloody swine that he’s demanding I marry.’

‘Mind you language young lady,’ Mother gently admonished.

‘Sorry Mother,’ Sybrina apologized. ‘He makes me so furious.’

‘You are such a fair and intelligent young lady.  Why can’t he marry you to a respectable young Peer?’

‘I don’t care much for a husband with a title Mother.  I am willing to be married, and to give my husband  children.  I just don’t want to be fobbed off to a man whose only interested is in my dowry to support his gambling and alcoholic tendencies!'

‘Oh my dear child,’ Mother hugged Sybrina, ‘I just wish I could mediate on your behalf, but you know your father takes no counsel from anybody.’

Sybrina dare not inform Mother Agnes, of her father’s threat to cut off his support to the Orphanage if she did not succumb to his wish to marry the pot bellied, aging baron who could hardly see or hear unless you were three feet in front of him . Tomorrow perhaps she could go see her friend the Baroness DuPont, and plead for her to speak to her husband about funds for the Orphanage. She will quickly send a note with one of the maids, asking the Baroness to receive her at ten in the morning.

‘I’ll be in my bed chamber if you need me Mother Agnes.

‘We saved you some soup and dumplings dear.’

‘Oh I’ve had some refreshments at Father’s,’ Sybrina declined.

Refreshments being the half a cup of tea, that she’d put down and stormed out, when she heard her father’s latest proposal to marry her off.  She had no appetite now, and aware of the food shortages at the orphanage, somebody else can benefit from her portion.