Missing Pieces (boyxboy)

I quickly looked away from his big blue eyes to hide the forming tears. I didn't want him to see me weak like this.

"Adison, it's not you, it's me." I sighed releasing all the pain I felt. I didn't bother looking at him. I knew it really was his fault. Him and that guy he slept with last week, and the other before that.. and the other before that. It was stupid of me to think I could handle all of this.

"It's okay, really. I already knew about them anyway. Just..." I hesitated looking down at my hand. The silver band shined at me, taunting me with an endless spiral of 'what if's. I took off the ring and held it out to him. "Here, I don't need it anymore." He looked at it sadly. He reached out and wrapped his hand around mine, locking the ring in my grip.

"Keep it." He let go and turned away. I watched him, followed his back and waited until he turned the corner, waited till I knew he wouldn't come back.

"Asshole!" I threw the ring on the ground and started to stump on it. "Motherfucking son of a bitch! Stupid douche bag, jackass cheater... fuck." Everyone on the street either paused to stare at me or quickly walked on as if nothing ever happened. This was a cruel, cruel world.

I looked down at the ring and screamed. It didn't even break! Defeated, I bent down and picked up the stainless steal band and felt a tear fall down my cheek. Rain slowly started to fall and then began to pound down. I stood there crying and slowly slipped the ring back on my finger.

"I hate you." I murmured.

A YEAR LATER...

I sat down in my usual seat and pulled out my notebook. Mr. Kiem, my history professor, was going to be here at any moment, and I knew he would want the assignment from last class that I'd never finished. I opened the notebook and flipped to the unfinished essay about what I thought of this week's article. I rushed to scribble down some intelligent nonsense and smiled contentedly. Finished.

"Okay everyone, please place your assignment on my desk." I tossed my paper on the stack and then went back to my seat. As discreetly as possible, I pulled out my cellphone and stuck my headphones in them. I decided that today was going to be a slack off day, so I stuck an earbud in one ear and leaned back in my seat. "Mr. Reece, I would appreciate it if you'd listen to today's lecture, and not today's playlist."

I eyeballed the old man. He glared back at me with clear blue eyes that were surrounded with a thousand wrinkles. For a long moment we studied each other, sized each other up. With a quirk of his brow, he convinced me that he was a true bad ass.  I was forced to gave him an extra point of respect for knowing what a playlist was. Without a word, I quickly packed my phone away. He turned back to the whiteboard and started writing down a vague outline for today. I quickly copied it down. After I was done with all that "hard" work I tuned him out and stared at the wall blankly.

It took me a while, but when I realized that I was playing with the ring that rested on my middle finger, I immediately froze. The reminder of that day cooled me inside, and I immediately stood up. Mr. Kiem glanced at me sharply, but then went back to his lecture. I gathered all my stuff and walked out. This was one of the many reasons why I liked college. You could walk in and out whenever you felt like it, and no one really cared.

I walked down the halls and out the building towards the dorm area. Sadly, I had a roommate, but lucky for me there was no way that we would fall in love with each other like I did with... him. He was as straight as they came, and the lack of a bend in his sexual preference was comforting. I walked into the building and went up the stairs. I didn't trust elevators unless I had to go up ten floors. I stopped on the fifth floor, and walked down the hall to the seventh door on the right and unlocked it.

"Shit man!" I quickly closed the door back. What the fuck?

.....................................................................................................................................................

So I decided to go back through this story and rewrite some parts, edit others. Some of it made me cringe, and I feel like I could develop certain things better. I don't think it will be so dramatic of a change that you'll feel like you're reading something entirely different, but if I do start to deviate from the original plot, then I'll suggest a reread closer toward the end. Thank you.

VOTE, COMMENT, CRITIQUE, FOLLOW- all will be graciously received.