Largo

The girl in my class with the pronounced veins in her left arm talked to me today. Her third tooth from the middle of her bottom set is chipped a little and her nose wrinkles when she talks. Her eyes are kind of cloudy and part of her hair is split at the end. But I think she's still pretty.

She told me that she really liked art. I kind of nodded, and she said it again like I didn't hear. So I told her that I did hear her, she really likes art, and she told me I was being too loud and then told me to tell her my first and last name. I asked why and then she told me we were doing an assignment, and why wasn't I writing it down, and then she sighed and rolled her eyes and just grabbed my paper and wrote everything for me. I told her I could write, and she said I obviously couldn't, because I never did it, and then I tried to grab the pencil from her hand so I could show her that I can write, and I guess that was bad because she got mad and walked away again.

-

That night I practiced playing For the New World again, Movement Four. I can play every other movement, too, but that one's my favorite and I play it at least three times every night. My mom told me to stop for the night, so I did, and I went to my room and I got my phone. I texted that girl again and told her that I played the movement five times that night, and she told me that I text her too much.

I said okay and put my phone down.

-

I tried to explain it to her today, what For the New World is about. I told her about how there was a contest going on and the song was made for it but another woman won, which really shouldn't have happened, because that song is much better, but I guess I was talking too fast because she just kept kind of looking at me. I tried to talk slower but I got the same reaction.

I stopped talking and went back to drawing spirals.

-

I sat outside today for lunch because the lunchroom is too loud. The principal lets me sit out here, which I like. Mom and dad built a fence for me at the house, but I don't have a fence here, and I don't know how to build fences, just how to play piano really fast and list the state capitals in reverse while skipping every second one.

I like it out there, the air is cold and I get to see the leaves, and no one bothers me.

-

I texted her again today to tell her something funny that I read, that in England during the bombings of World War II, this woman had her entire house blown away but still made lunch. She told me that it wasn't very funny, but it was really pretty sad, and I told her "Okay," and then she said I should really stop texting her.

-

I invited her to the movies today, I said that the movie theater was doing a limited showing of my favorite movie, The Living Wake, which I told her was really low budget but was really good, and the characters kind of reminded me of myself. She told me that if the characters were anything like me she didn't want to go at all, and then she laughed. I told her that wasn't very funny, and she told me that I didn't really understand anything, and what did I know about anything being funny, and I told her that in World War II the atomic bomb was so powerful that it would burn the flower prints of kimonos onto the skin of the women wearing them during the blast. She told me that was sad, and I told her that I thought it was pretty interesting.

I asked her again if she wanted to go to the movie, but she said no and walked away again.

-

Today I tried to talk to her about art, because I know she likes it. But I wasn't really that interested, so I kept talking about For the New World, and how Largo is my favorite movement, but she kept wanting to talk about Monet and the way he drew his water lilies paintings, and then when I told her that we have more than half of our DNA in common with bananas, and how that made sense to me because she kind of resembled a banana, she seemed really mad. I didn't really understand why, so I asked her if she wanted to come see me play piano.

She said no again.

-

I painted her water lilies last night. I tried to. I got all the paint brushes that I have and tried to match the color to Monet as much as I could to impress her, and I gave it to her.

She smiled a little.