Chapter 23 : Mr. Lazy

Start from the beginning

He sits up in bed and I see he's sulking. I have to bite down my grin. ''I'm just saying, Rory. I could give you a job or I could search for another one if you want. You just have to say so.'' He looks at me with his eyes so soft he could even change the devil's mind.

But his words don't have the effect he probably aimed for on me. I know he's trying to look out for me and do what's best for me – for us. But he can't control my life in every way. I sit up in bed, too, pulling the sheet up and turn so I'm facing Braden. ''You're not giving me a job, Braden, neither are you going to look for the job for me. I like working at the bar. The money is good and the people are great. Can we just leave it at that for now?'' I plead.

Braden sighs and puts his head against the wall, looking up at the ceiling. After moments, he looks at me. ''Okay,'' he says with a visible force. I know he's used to getting everything he asks for, but that's not the case with me. ''But if the money is ever going to be a problem for you, you come to me first. No matter what, no matter when,'' he points the last sentence out, looking at me firmly.

I know exactly what he wanted to say with that. If I decide to leave you, you can still come beg me for money. Yeah, like I'd do that.

When I don't answer him, he leans in closer to my face. ''Promise me, Rory. You're going to come to me if you're ever in trouble.'' I'm still unable to give him an answer he wishes to hear, so I only bite my lip and look down at my hands. ''Promise me, Rory, dammit!'' he raises his voice and I look up in fear, my eyes round. He has his eyes narrowed on me.

''I promise,'' I mumble quietly, afraid he's going to shout at me again.

Braden exhales slowly and then he effortlessly scoops my body up in his arms, my sheet dropping along the way, and he puts me on his lap, hugging me to his warm body. ''Good.'' He brushes my hair, while my heart is still beating fast.

I hate when people yell at me. I loathe it and it's usually me who starts crying and apologising if I see someone's mad at me. And it's not even my fault, usually. I forgive and forget way too easily.

''I didn't mean to raise my voice at you, baby girl. I'm just really worried about you sometimes. God,'' he exhales and puts his head on the top of mine, closing his eyes, while still hugging my body close to his. ''You really mean a lot to me, Rory.''

My heart starts beating faster. I hold my breath and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

But nothing happens. He stays silent and I'm probably getting red in the face for holding my breath for so long. He won't say it. I'd do anything to hear those three words from his lips, but I don't think I ever will.

I'm not capable of loving anymore, Rory ...

''You really mean a lot to me, too,'' I sigh out, trying to hide my disappointment.

Braden intertwines our hands together, then brings them up and places a kiss on my knuckles. ''I know,'' he simply says.

I tense up. I know? That's his reply? What else does he know?

''What do you want to do today?'' he asks me, tracing my arm with his fingers.

I try to focus on his question and force myself to push the harmful thoughts out of my head. If he knew just how much he really means to me, he'd say something, right? He'd probably end us for good if he knew.

A yawn escapes me. ''Just lay in the bed for the whole day. You exhausted me!''

Braden laughs and his whole body vibrates against mine. Mmm, what a sound ... ''You exhausted me, too, woman,'' he replies, still laughing.