Chapter 8

The next morning I woke up and started getting ready for school. I didn’t really feel like going to school today, but what can you do, you know? It took about fifteen minutes to get completely ready, so I decided to eat an apple for breakfast. A few minutes later I heard a car horn. I was walking out the door seconds later, after I threw away my apple core. Sylvia is picking me up today and taking me to school. When I walked out the door I saw her waiting for me. I waved and started walking towards her car.

“Hey, Sylvia! Thanks for picking me up, I really appreciate it,” I said, getting in the car.

“Don’t mention it. So how’s it going this morning? Did you think of a way to get Dylan to talk to you?” she asked, smiling.

“No, but I think I’m just going to try talking to him in class today. Maybe I can get him to do something other than stare out that window all class period,” I said.

“Maybe,” Sylvia said, starting the car. She turned on the radio, and after flipping through some of the stations, decided to turn it off. “Well, looks like you are going to be my source of entertainment, Katy,” she said. I laughed and shook my head.

“Okay, I’ll entertain you, but I’m not doing all of the talking.” She laughed and we talked the entire way to school.

When we got to school, we noticed that people were already walking into the building. I guess the bell rang already.

“I’ll see you in second, Sylvia,” I called, getting out of the car and waving.

“See ya,” she said as I was leaving. I looked up at the sky and noticed what a beautiful day it is today. The blue sky looked somewhat bluer. Maybe it was just me, but I could tell that today was going to be a good day.

I walked into first period and saw Mrs. Stuart sitting at her desk, like always. “Good morning Mrs. Stuart,” I said as I passed her desk.

She looked up at me and smiled. “Good morning Ms. Thomas, you look extra happy today!” she exclaimed.

“I guess you could say that. I just feel that today will be a good day,” I said, taking my seat.

“Well hopefully you are right,” she said, as more students started filing in.

After that class was over I decided to go straight to second period. I walked in and sat at my desk. I sat there looking at the ground thinking of everything but school, until I heard footsteps entering the room. I looked up to see Mr. Talbert walking in.

“Morning, Katy. You’re here early. Is there anything I can help you with?” he asked.

“Actually, Mr. Talbert, there is. I was wondering if you could tell me a little about this kid in our class. His name is Dylan,” I said.

“Oh yes, Dylan. Well Katy, I can’t tell you much about him since students have their privacy,” he said.

“Well do you know how I can get him to talk to me? A suggestion?” I asked, hoping he would know of a way to get Dylan to talk to me.

“Time. Give him time, he’ll come around. In the meantime, be friendly to him. Kindness is a good thing. I’m sure soon enough you’ll have him talking you ear off,” he said, sitting down.

I laughed at the mental image I got and thanked Mr. Talbert. Soon, everyone was walking in. I looked towards the door just in time to see Dylan walk in. He looked at me and continued towards his desk. I got up and moved to the empty desk next to him.

“Hey!” I said, cheerfully. He ignored me, staring out the window like he always does. “So I was wondering, maybe we could talk after class… you know, get to know each other a little. I would love to be friends,” I said, as happily as I could.

************************************************************************************************************************

I know that this chapter is really short. The next chapter is probably going to be the longest chapter though, so don't worry :)