Dream Catch Me - Chapter One

Start from the beginning

A solid 20 minutes had passed before a billowing mass of steam erupted from the bathroom, my brother also releasing the strong smell of his awful cologne with the humid steam. "It's not going to make a difference Jane, no matter how many times you shower, the smell of whore will never leave," Alex remarked while passing me with a towel wrapped around his waist. His tanned back, the polar opposite to mine, retreating back into his bedroom. I gnoring his favourite saying I entered the bathroom, lock the door and stripped down. The mirror fogged up, I leaned toward it and wiped the moisture off with the leg of my pyjama pants with a loud squeak.

A slightly blurry version of Jane stared right back. Her bright blue eyes, still dead inside stood out against her naturally brown red hair and complemented her pale winter skin. Her face flawless, the snowy complexion unmarked from freckles, moles or acne. I stepped back from the damp mirror, now with hands at my sides I inspected what my diet and exercise had improved. Deciding to make a change to my lifestyle and eating was the healthiest decision I had ever made. My toned stomach, the gap between my thighs, my thin neck, all resulted from my strict program of 10 km run per day, and no dairy or meat. With that diet leaving sweet nothing to eat in the household I regularly skipped a meal, with no fuss from my mother.

I turned the tap on the shower, now running slightly late I jumped in, the water still with a chilling edge. School was never a problem to me, grade wise that is. I inherited my hard work, determination and ability to achieve highly from my father who was a biology professor at the local university. Unlike my Brother who inherited his lack of motivation from his father, who was unemployed and feeding off the government. I think that was the main reason Alex hated me so much; his father left, and I was the result of a new relationship for my mother, leaving him no hope of having the perfect family he longed for.

My professor father left my mother when I was six, leaving me also with a shattered dream of a perfect family. Why my mother hates me? I can only guess it's because I was his child, and she despised every fibre in his being once he left. Lathering the shampoo into my waist-length hair, I thought of my father, who also had the unique browny red hair. If you asked me now where my father is I couldn't tell you. My mother blocked all his phone calls and intercepted all letters from him, eventually resulting in less attempts on my fathers behalf. Rinse, wash and repeat. Fully showered I quickly walked into my room, drips splattering along the floorboards.

A large gust of wind blew through my once again opened window, sending shivers down my spine and making goosebumps appear instantaneously on my bare arms, legs and neck. Alex. Just another prank he though was funny. After slamming the window shut AGAIN I threw off my towel and dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans, black woollen jumper and my khaki coloured parka jacket.

Now 7:45 I had 20 minutes to get to school. In less of rush, not seeing the importance of arriving on time I sat on the end of my creaky bed and laced up my red converse. Deciding to make a little bit more effort, hoping to escape bullying on the first day, I took out the blow drier from my cupboard and dried my damp hair. Soft curls were now cascading down my back reaching just above my waist. Fetching my school bag I had prepared last night, containing a pencil case, texts books and a binder, I walked out of my room and down the hall, exiting out the front door and locking it behind me.

Taking a deep breath of the crisp winter air, I walked out the gate and stopped. 'Was it left? Or right?' the increasing nerves causing me to forget the 25 minute route to my new high school. I went randomly chose left and continued along the sidewalk, dodging patches of ice. After 10 minutes of walking I finally came to the conclusion that I had chosen the wrong way. Typical Jane luck, I thought. It seemed I wasn't the only one lost at this point either though.

A man, whose face I couldn't see, was in front of me looking left and right down both sides of the intersection. A gruffled noise of frustration left his mouth, along with the cloud of breath due to the cold air. Deciding to ignore the man, I decided to turn right, seeing as left had done me no good before. Walking along the path, paying less attention to where I was going, and more to the possible fate of the man I slipped on a patch of black ice.

My foot skidded out from underneath me and I fell to the ground with an unhealthy 'thwack!' onto my side. I heard footsteps behind me, making me feel embarrassed that someone may have seen my ungrateful slip to the concrete.

"Are you alright? I saw you fall!" a gruff male voice sounded from behind me. "I'm fine.." I mumbled, a slight blush of embarrassment forming on my frozen cheeks. Trying to gain my composure and any dignity I still had, I scrambled to my feet with the stranger holding my elbow from behind me. Though knowingly to 'Jane luck', while composing myself before thanking the stranger I slipped on the same piece of ice.

However this time, it was different. A strong pair of arms encircled my waist, saving me from another beating from gravity and slowly hoisting me back to my feet. The large hands holding on to my waist spun me round to face the stranger. And I stopped dead in my tracks.

-

Hey! Please comment and vote! I'd love to hear your opinions and feedback! Also, there is a picture of Jane on the side, played by Alexis Bledel.