Chapter 4

Clary POV

August 23rd.

I've been at the Institute six days and none of them know it's my birthday. I mean, it's not like they know me well at all. I wake up, I train, I read, I draw, I train, I sleep, repeat. The only Lightwood kid who's giving me a chance is Max. We've basically bonded over manga and other nerd stuff.

But anyway, it's not like I want to celebrate my birthday this year. Not without Jonathan, anyway. On my eighth birthday, I made a portal and we spent the night in Berlin. The next year it was Munich. Then the Black Forest. It became a tradition to portal to somewhere in Germany on my birthday. It's not like we were ever able to go out any other day. Dad even allowed it after he found out. This year we would have gone to Stuttgart. Instead I'm here.

Sitting on my bed, playing with my recently washed hair, reading A Tale of Two Cities for the third time this week. Okay, do I really just want to sit here and mope? Nope.

I quickly pull my hair into a french braid and start on my way to... Why kid myself? I have no idea where anything is here.

I wander until I get to the library. I search the shelves, grabbing quite a few books as I go. What? A Tale of Two Cities may be great, but do you expect me to read it forever? I grab Pride and Prejudice, Arabian Nights, The Strange Tale of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Jungle, Jane Eyre, The Haunted House, The Cider House Rules, The Scarlet Letter, The Joy Luck Club, and The Necromancer then start off again. I need somewhere new to go. I need somewhere where the others won't bother me. Then I find it.

The greenhouse.

I head in there and take a seat on the steps is the spiral staircase. I take The Cider House Rules off the stack and start reading. The book is basically about a doctor performing and training people to do abortions during a time when they were illegal. I'm about a hundred thirty pages in when I hear Lord Obnoxiousness's voice.

"Doing some light reading?"

I groan and look up at Jace. "What? I can't read without being turned into the Clave for something?"

He puts his hands up in surrender. "I was just asking. No need to get all defensive." He looks at the book in my hands and asks, "Is it any good? I've read half the books on that pile but I've never read that one."

"Yeah. I'm only a hundred thirty seven pages in but I really like it so far," I explain as I put the book on the top of my pile.

Jace sits a few steps down from me. "Why?"

"Why what?" I ask already knowing where this is going.

"Why do you follow Valentine? Why do you listen to what he tells you to do? Why do you let him keep you hidden away like a weapon?" Jace asks, almost demands.

I just sigh. "You don't get it. He's my father. He raised me when my mother couldn't be bothered to know me. I mean, who leaves a baby? Two babies even. I mean, my brother was barely a year older. The point is, he's raised us, trained us, loved us. The least we can do is listen to a few simple orders." I cross my arms as I lean back against the stairs.

"I can get that, but who asks a fifteen year old girl to risk her life over and over again for a selfish man's beliefs?" he asks.

"Sixteen," I say simply, ignoring the fact he just insulted my dad.

"What?" Jace asks.

"I'm sixteen now. Maybe if you all weren't busy treating me like a demon spawn you'd all know that," I state closing my eyes. Technically you are a demon spawn, my subconscious tells me. My eyes open when I feel Jace grab my hand.

"When was your birthday?" Jace asks sounding sincerely sorry.

I sigh. "Today." Just then the midnight flower starts blooming. "I guess yesterday now." I look at the regretful expression on his face. "It's no big deal. I didn't even want to celebrate this year because if I were celebrating I'd be with my brother exploring some German city, getting drunk and dancing at a shitty club."

"Everyone should celebrate their birthday, even if it's a small celebration," Jace says.

"Hey, I am celebrating. Do you not see my ten books here?" We both laugh slightly. "But seriously, if I can't celebrate like I always do, then what's the point."

Jace moves so he's sitting next to me on the same step I am. "Ya know, you may not be able to go to Germany for your birthday this year, but there are still things you can do to celebrate. It's possible that that tradition may be ending, but you can always start new ones."

I just shake my head and look at him. "Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden? The past week you've wanted nothing to do with me. Now you're just changing like that." I snap my finger for emphasis.

Jace just shrugs. "At first I did hate you, because my parents died following your father. Then I realized you were barely an infant when that happened."

"My dad told me about your parents. He said they were some of his closest friends. He was devastated when they died." I put my hand on his shoulder and look at him. "I'm sorry about your parents."

He nods and looks me in the eyes. We just sit there and stare at each other. Suddenly his warm lips are on mine, softly kissing me. I hesitate but kiss back softly. Then I realize I just met him a week ago and he didn't even speak to me for most of it. I slowly pull away and open my eyes.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have kissed you like tha--hey are you okay? There's something going on with your eyes."

My eyes widen. I know what's happening. "I-I have to go," I say grabbing my pile of books then rushing off towards my room. I don't turn our hesitate when Jace calls after me.

As soon as I get to my room I put the books down then put a locking rune of the door and a soundproof rune on the walls. Looking in the mirror I see it. My eyes darkening to black and glowing slightly. This happens because of the extra angel blood battling the demon blood.

I cry out in pain as a sharp pain runs through my body. I wish I had my tonic. If I had it this would go a lot smoother. A new wave of pain goes through my body and I drop to my knees as the excruciating sensation courses through my veins. I feel my heart quicken as the pain intensifies and makes me feel like I'm about to explode. I yell out as a huge wave of energy explodes from my body. I sink down as my breathing steadies and I slip into black.

AN

Hello book nerds! Just wanna take the time to say that if you haven't read A Tale of Two Cities or any of the other books I mentioned in this chapter, READ THEM! They're all amazing! Some of them drag on as you read it, but they're still amazing books. Now, I'm off to update You Broke Me. Oh, and Happy Labor Day for all of you who are in the USA!~Bella