Chapter 8

MARK'S PERSPECTIVE

"Come on, Austin! Hit me with the best you've got!" I exclaim, clapping my hands together as Austin charges towards me, dodging all the defenders.

"TIGER DRIVE!" He exclaims as a giant tiger appears behind him and roars. Austin kicks the ball and it comes flying towards me.

"FIST OF JUSTICE #3" I yell out as I punch the ball with all my might.

After a few intense seconds, the ball flies into my hands.

"Better luck next time." I smile at Austin who nods excitedly.

"Captain, could I go get a drink of water?" Archer asks me. I nod.

"I'll go too." Caleb says snickering.

I wonder what he is planning to do.

"It's so weird not having Isabelle watching us practice today." Xavier sighs. I can tell that he's upset.

"Yeah, and Celia and the rest of the girls." Jude agrees.

"Not forgetting Axel." I remind them.

Axel's in the infirmary because he decided to sleep outside in the rain. Even I wouldn't do that. Wait, nevermind, I did do it once.

Axel won't tell anyone why he decided to sleep out in the rain, but I have a feeling that someone on the team does. Or maybe two someones.

As we talk about Axel, I notice Austin zone out. Like he doesn't care.

I know he does. Axel was his first friend and is his role model.

"I wonder why Axel slept out in the rain yesterday, anyway." Jude sighs.

"Yeah, that doesn't seem like something he of all people would do." Nathan says.

"Yeah." Shawn agrees.

Austin just stands there looking the slightest bit guilty. I knew it, Austin does know something about Axel.

Jude seems to know too because he's giving Austin a look.

"Austin, do you have any idea why Axel slept out in the rain?" He asks.

"N, n, no" He stammers softly.

Jude shakes his head. If Austin knows, he's not telling.

We get back into our positions, but then Coach Travis tells us that we've had enough practice for one day.

"I object!" Jordan says. "I NEED to practice!" He tells the coach.

"The only thing you NEED to do, is rest." Coach Travis sighs. "Didn't you learn your lesson during the last match?" He asks.

The team walks off, but I go to tell Caleb and Archer that we're done with practice.

When I get to the water fountains, I find Caleb about to take a punch at Archer.

"Caleb! Stop! What are you doing?!" I yell as I put myself in between the two.

Caleb puts his fist down and smiles innocently. I glare at him.

"The team's gonna go rest, do you guys want to come?" I ask them.

Caleb shrugs and pushes his way towards the dorm.

"Archer?" I ask.

"No."

"No!? Why not?"

"I prefer to rest alone." He shrugs and then heads off.