Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Melancholy

The moon rose from behind the hills and the dewy grass lit up like fireflies. The blood that stained Pa's hands invisible under the light of the stars as we rushed into the shelter which rendered as a temporary home until we could prove to Pa that the house's frame was secure.

As we entered the shelter, Pa began to cough, his voice wheezy and dry as his cheeks began to redden. Alec grabbed his arm, preparing to assist him to his bed but Pa put up a hand dismissingly and began to hobble to the table, catching his breath.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." Pa reassured us, waving Alec away which he ignored as he followed Pa to the table, helping him take a seat.

"Pa, from what you just witnessed, I'm making you take it easy." Alec announced, Pa went to interrupt him but he pushed on, "I don't care how bloody tough you are, you are resting, whether you like it or not."

Pa grumbled under his breath and took a large sigh of defeat, I smiled to Alec approvingly which he responded with a nod, not wanting Pa to know that we were discussing him while he was in the room.

Pa looked down at his hands and clothing, and his face went pale.

"I'm not feeling too great. I'm going to get cleaned up and head to bed." Pa proclaimed, his voice sturdy yet weak as he entered the bathroom, closing the door firmly behind him. Click. The door locked after him.

"Come back inside." Pa demanded loudly, his voice anxious and fearful, "Please, not today. We stay in the shelter just for today."

Alec's hand slowly retreated from the door handle, and took a step back, dumbfounded.

"Why Pa?" I questioned, looking at my grandfather curiously as I sat at the table, eating my breakfast.

Pa looked back and fourth between my brother and I and his forehead wrinkled from thinking intensely, his eyes looked tired and bloodshot.

"I'm... I'm not sure." His voice came out softly, his eyes confused and scared. He looked down to his slightly stained hands, which couldn't be scrubbed clean of the guilt that was no longer just skin deep.

Pa isn't that young anymore, and after everything he has been through plus what occurred yesterday, it is completely understandable for why he is having a bit of a psychological breakdown.

I smiled kindly at him, trying to seem understanding and supportive despite my irritation.

"It's okay Pa, we don't have to go out today." I looked from Pa to Alec, raised my eyebrow slightly at my brother trying to indicate that I was directing this to him. "Right, Alec?"

"Yeah. Whatever." He grumbled, walking away from the door, he looked like a child who was leaving a toy store empty handed.

Relief washed over Pa's face, the bags under his eyes dark and hollow. He mustn't of had a very good night rest with all the coughing and wheezing. He yawned, and as he stretched, his face looked almost pained.

"Maybe you should have a nap Pa." I suggested, shrugging slightly at my worn out grandfather. He yawned again, tired tears drizzled down his cheeks as his eyes fluttered shut and suddenly open again.

"I think you may be right darling." He muttered, his eyes heavy as he got up to hobble over to his bed, but his stance was uneven and his frequent limping somewhat trembling.

I looked over to him slightly distressed. What's wrong with Pa? I glanced over to Alec, who's attention was clearly absent towards our grandpa's unusual behaviour as he stared at a moth that was dancing around the shelter lightbulb.