School Sucks (And Kristy Doesn't)

Well, well, well. I happen to have just started school a few days ago, so I guess I should write a chapter on school. I'm really pleased with how my brain is bringing this story along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The harsh beeping sound of my alarm clock awoke me from my dreams of... oh. Oh. Oh, oh oh. I should not be allowed to dream of things like that. I sat up in a hurry. Today was my 74th day of school, but the first day of school with my injuries. Speaking of my injuries, I probably should not have sat up that quickly.

The thick bandages around my ribs made it difficult to put a shirt on (not to mention a bra) and did a sucky job of stifling the pain that came from bending down to put on jeans. I ended up throwing on a big hoodie over my shirt. I don't need sympathy from people that only care because they "want to know what happened".

Even though my rib bandages were hidden it was still apparent that I had something around my leg and I couldn't exactly camoflauge my crutch. I sighed for what must have been the tenth time that morning and exited my bedroom, beginning the now long walk down my hallway, down the stairs, through the living room, and into the kitchen.

My mom made an exception with her morning temper and greeted me, "Think you're ready for school? Are you feeling alright?"

I shrugged, "I had two days at the hospital and two days of the weekend, Mom. I'm fine. Besides, Kristy will be able to help me."

She held her arms up in surrender, "Hey, I'm just checking. I have to drive you now, so I don't want to be there and have you tell me how sick you feel."

I laughed and focused on pouring my cereal. Waves of nervousness fought their way through my system as I imagined the day. I could usually hide and try to be invisible, but now I have a friend and a crutch with matching bandages. No one wants to watch my ugly ass walk down the hallway. On the plus side, I have a friend. That's one more than I had a few days ago. And with all these classes together and her actually volunteering to help carry my books... we were gonna end up as very close friends.

I felt a blush begin to creep across the sides of my face as I remembered falling on Kristy at the hospital two days ago. No more mistakes like that, no more tripping, no more falling, no more making a fool of myself. From this point on, I was going to be cool.

I attempted to recall how to be at least minorly cool on the way to school, but upon getting out of the car I totally forgot anything I had come up with because I saw Kristy standing with a couple of girls near the entrance. How could I have been so stupid? Of course she had friends! She probably had classes with a few of them, lunch with a few, plans with a few, and me being in the hospital had ruined everything.

I was going to try and sneak past, but she saw me coming and ran up, "Hey, Halie! I was just telling my friends that you were part of the group now."

Her words echoed in my ears. My heart pounded in my chest. Part of a group now. I was finally being accepted. I suddenly realized that I had gone off thinking again and left Kristy hanging, waiting for some kind of a response.

I blushed and stuttered, "Yeah, uh, wow. That sounds really great."

She grinned, almost like she was relieved, and gestured to my crutch, "How's everything feeling? Does anything still hurt?"

I shrugged and winced from the motion. "Well apparently it hurts if I move my shoulders... but otherwise it's barely there."

She nodded and started walking back over to her friends, "Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone."