[35]: serrated edge

Start from the beginning

The first thing I felt was confusion.

Where had he been when I was putting up his tent?

I thought he had already left.

Said man turned on his heel, hand hooked on the strap of his crossbow as he looked over his shoulder.

"You okay on your own?" Rick asked, walking a little closer to him.

I fiddled with the hat in my hands. I wanted to look away from Daryl, but I kept my eyes on him, making sure to keep a blank expression.

"I'm better on my own," he yelled back, turning to walk away from us. "Don't worry, I'll be back before dark." But Rick had more words to say.

I just wanted Daryl to ignore the man and walk away so I wouldn't have to think about him.

"Hey." he caught the hunter's attention again, who was growing more aggravated by the second. "We got a base. We can get this search properly organised now."

To be totally honest, Rick was saying things all of us already knew, even those who are not involved in all the important meetings that seem to only be for the strong and dictatorial.

"You got a point, or we just chatting?"

"My point is it lets you off the hook," Rick said out of the blue. "You don't owe us anything."

Did he think Daryl would leave?

Daryl glanced at me for a split second. I didn't know whether he wanted to leave... after all, his brother was not here. I hadn't really thought that he would, after all, where would he go? Being with a group was the smartest thing nowadays.

"My other plans fell through," he called back and walked away.

Rick took a few steps backwards before turning his gaze towards me, and I was holding his hat out towards him. He took it from me, placing it on his head. "He always like that?"

As much as I wanted to say yes, I didn't. "You just got to get used to him," I sighed, already bored with the day.

I knew that everyone would refuse to let me do anything today. Dale would probably tell me to take watch, despite his lack of knowledge that I know how to use a gun... to an extent.

I stood up, ready to walk away, but then another figure popped into my view. They walked down the stairs, with a rolled up map and a canteen.

Hershel, the man who always gave me double takes, and he did just that.

"We could give you more space," Rick suggested to the old man. I followed his footsteps as they took a close look at the barn, which was quite far away from the actual house. The sheriff put his hands on his hips. "Set up over by the barn."

I hoped that we wouldn't have to since I would already have to be far away from everyone else anyway.

"No, no need for that," Hershel answered, looking between Rick and I. "Better you stay close to the house."

I breathed a sigh of relief. No moving my already set up camp.

I felt like I was interrupting on adult business, but I stepped closer to both of them. I knew they knew I was there, but they still kept talking... and that made me feel a little older.

"I don't say this easily. We don't normally take in strangers."

I gulped at what he was saying, and I knew what he was implying. He was implying that this place was not a permanent, and we would have to be sent away as soon as possible.