Confirmation Of The Past

I awoke to the subtle "plop, plop" sound of walking. I noticed my back hurt like a-

Ugly word.

I opened my eyes, which were crusty with sleep. I abruptly became aware of where I was. I was over the shoulder of... Deidara. Ew. I had a problem with those hands of his since I first watched him.

That sounds wrong.

I looked all around taking in the surroundings, which was mostly sand, for we were in the desert.

Crap, how long was I out?

Well, no matter. They were going to capture Gaara, and that's all the information I needed to know. You see, I had a plan. And it was obviously a good one, since I'm alive.

But of course 'there', getting out alive wasn't enough. You had to succeed. Or you'd be dead anyway.

I remembered those days.

"Sagara, just because the master favors you, doesn't mean you can disregard the rules!" The Commander really likes pulling that card on me. I don't care if the master likes me. I just want Alice and I to get out unscathed. But this seems unlikely.

"Look, it's true that you're one of our best slaves. And you are a great fighter. Don't make me belittle your potential by flogging you." The Commander is pretty good about persuading. But if you refuse him, he becomes irrational. Just smile and nod, Sagara. That's how you get through it.

I suddenly start my fake apology.

I burst into tears, and I drop to my knees.

"I- I'm sorry. I-I d-didn't mean to b-be s-so disresp-pectful." The Commander pats my head. An empty gesture.

"As long as you understand. Now, go back to your quarters." I nod, obeying him.

How far will I fall?

"Hey, is the kid awake?" I hear Sasori ask, pulling me out of my trance. I calmed my breathing and closed my eyes, looking asleep instantly.

"No, she ain't, un." Deidara observed. I stayed deathly silent the rest of the trip, while took a trip down trauma lane.

"Alice?" I hesitantly ask the girl in the bunk above me.

"Yes....?" She asked.

"My name is Sagara Himitsu. Himitsu is my given name." I explained.

"Then I will call you Mimi." Alice spoke fondly, as if she'd known me all her life.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked in a shaky voice.

"Didn't you already?" She laughed a little. And while I scrambled to apologize, she answered.

"Yes, you may."

"Well, do you think we could ever escape alive?" I wondered to her.

"Well, we only made it here today. We'd have to bide our time, and find a surefire way to survive. But I think one day, it will be possible. I will pray for that day. You should pray too. Now go to sleep Mimi.  Tomorrow, we start our slave life." She finalized the conversation.

I was convinced. Someday, I would lead Alice and I back to the Free Lands.

My Mom had used to say that the world was different. 

When I was four, World War Three had finally ended. It started in 2014. Of course, we were the fortunate country. Japan was the only Asian power that stayed neutral. After six years, the war ended. Unfortunately, our relatives in America were not so lucky. Germany, Canada, Poland, and Italy had made up the Cold Powers. They had won the war. England, North Korea, America, China and Mexico had made up the Northern Powers. They had lost. North America had been separated into two parts.