5: Proclamation

Sweat trickled down my forehead. I gritted my teeth as I intensified my concentration. I started to move my hands which were extended forward. I wrote letters, glyphs and symbols in the air and formed an imaginary magic circle. "Respóndeme, oh fuerza que gobierna del cielo, invoco, rayos!"

'I did it!' I wanted to say but unfortunately it didn't work. I was trying to accomplish one simple lightning spell that I found on the book I was reading. I followed each and every instruction but why doesn't it work? I blew off some air and lied down the cold steel floor. I stretched my hands on both sides and my bracelet created a sound like two metals bumping on each other. The sound reverberated throughout the quiet room. The stillness of the room sent shivers down my spine. It was creepy and I was training alone because Leone went back to the van Claud mansion at the outskirts of Zeous.

"I guess lightning really isn't for me." I whispered to myself. I'm not sad that I can't control lightning. I'm really not. My grandfather used to tell me that if I lack something in the present, it just means I'll have something better inthe future. So if I can't control lightning now, I will be able to develop a form of magic far suitable to me someday. When? I don't know. For now, I'd have to do my best to survive with my illusions.

I stood up and walked towards the door. I have to get ready for the proclamation will start within three hours.

I took off my clothes and slid into the bathroom and started taking a bath. The tranquil stillness of the cold water calmed me. But it also made me remember the events of last night. The ball didn't go as musch as it was planned but it didn't go out of hand either. Father was there. In the end, the Council came and the candidates were presented to the Circle. This means that the games is just five days away. And today's the proclamation. When I went out of the bathroom, I found three maids, namely Jane, Joanne, ang Jeane waiting for me in my room. They're sisters and ever since I was a kid, they were the ones who always looked out for me. They served as my playmates, bestfriends, and second mothers. I even confided secrets to them.

They made me sit in front of a mirror and started to put make up on my face. After that, they gave me a simple dress which was golden in color. It had black accents on it. The color represents lightning on a cold stormy night.

*****

The carriage I was riding on passed through noisy streets full of busy people, mainly traders coming from all around the globe. Zeous is also the capital of trades and it is the most prosperous capital. Its streets are usually full of citizens but today, their numbers seem to have doubled. I guess its because of the proclamation. Tch. When did this one heck of a competition become such an important matter?

The horses came to an abrupt stop when the henchman pulled the ropes connecting them to the carriage. I looked out the small window and saw a huge dome-like structure. Its silver-y convex roof glistened in the sunlight. Such an extravagant building for a hideous game.

"Lady Aiesha, we're here." The henchman said as he opened the door for me. I smiled and went out.

A strong breeze passed me by and my golden hair swayed with the cold winter wind. I suddenly noticed the stares the bystanders were giving me. It felt awkward and I got self conscious. It made me think 'is there something wrong with me' or is it just the type of stare they usually give someone who'll enter a competition from which she's not sure she'll survive? Either way, I don't really care.

We entered the dome and headed straight to the designated lounge. The invitation said that important announcements will be made there and further informations about the game will be said after the proclamation. We walked through hallways which had high-strung ceilings adorned with crystal chandeliers which were burning so brightly. Cloth of different colors hung from them to the walls. Each color represents a clan. I recognize five of them. The gold, red, silver, brown, and black.

*****

The proclamation carried on as planned. Each of the participants were introduced to the magic council and to the public, since the games will be aired publicly. All in all, there were 25 clans participating. Each of them were just about my age, which I was kinda thankful for, but then again, they still look intimidating and scary.

I stared blankly into space when thoughts of the game came sneaking into my mind. Tss. It's just the proclamation yet here I am, thinking of what could possibly happen to me.

On the corner of my eye, I saw a woman at the stands staring at me. I turned to look at her and she smiled when her eyes met my gaze. Suddenly, a palm squeezed up one of my shoulders. I looked up and saw dad glaring at the elevated chairs, no, to the woman who was staring at me.

"You can't lose, Aiesha, especially not to the Demius." He said all of a sudden. For a moment, his face turned into a pained expression, then he became serious again. Why dad? Why?

*****

We were about to leave when suddenly the speakers which were all around the dome let out a static sound. A few seconds later, a guy started speaking.

"There has been quite a change for this year's Grand Mages Competition. We have conducted a meeting with most of the clans participating this year. And we've all agreed that over the years, the games have juet become a one sided annihilation. So this year, representatives from each clans will form a group. There will be five groups with five members each. For thirty days, these groups will battle it out. When only five persons are left, they will be given five days to hunt down each other. There is no rule against killing a participant and I assume that each of you has come here knowing you'll risk your lives. That is all. Good luck mages." There was static again.

I didn't know what to think of the sudden change in the rules, should I be happy or not? I'm not sure. One thing's sure though. Dad isn't just angry right now. He is furious.