Chapter 20 - The Master's Secret

KARLSTEN POV

Exactly 24 hours, 13 minutes and 27 seconds since I saw Ette and I am missing her so bad. Her ankle is healed by now she might not know it but I secretly watched her. Now I am feeling guilty for compelling her.

(FLASHBACK --- two days ago)

After I bid goodbye to Ette I went to the hospital to meet Eloise for advice. She is the closest to mother or friend I can talk to.

"Hi, I'm here for Dr. Meyer? Can you please tell me where I can find her?" I went to the information counter.

"It's on third floor 316 hotshot." She almost popped her chest out.

"Thanks." I uttered.

"How about I take you to her and we can have a little fun?" She winked.

I mentally groaned since this woman is so pathetic and an easy lay. One of the things I hated on humans personality I just have to compel her to leave me alone.

"You will stop flirting with me and you will get back to whatever it is you're doing." I used the trick on her.

She nods like a puppy now I can go to the elevator peacefully. Soon I'm on the designated floor if only I can use my speed I could've done this in second. After three dying minutes I found the number and knocked before coming in.

"Karl, what a pleasant surprise sit down please." She gestured her hand.

"Hi Eloise I'm sorry for coming unannounced. There is just something I wanted to tell you." I go straight to the point.

"Is this about what we talked at my house or about my daughter?" She guessed right.

"The latter I know this might sound crazy but I need your input." I sounded tense.

"Here take this it will calm you down don't worry it's safe to drink." She hand me a glass of blood.

The moment I smelt it my nerves starts to calm down. This woman really knows how to handle someone like me.

"Thanks it smells fresh but there's something I can't quite pinpoint on it." I started to sip it.

"It's a mixture of blood and chamomile tea my own medicine especially made for "people" like you. I always have it ready in case one of you comes here so tell me what's been bugging you about my daughter?" She sits on the couch.

"I have to be completely honest with you I... uhmm... compelled her two days ago." I placed the cup on the table.

"Why?" Her calm responds.

"I have been confused since the day I met her she never left my mind. I wanted to be near her, make sure she's safe and out of trouble. You've got to understand I'm a vampire and all these things are confusing me." I explained my side.

"It's called emotional attachment Karl I do know for a fact that it was shut down for century and only your Chosen will be able to retain it. In this case you already found her and it's my daughter." She informed me.

"All the informations are sacred for us and no human was meant to know about it so how come you knew so much?" I leaned on the chair.

"Perhaps it's about time you know just promise me this will be upon us for now." She placed her palms on her lap.

"I am honouring it with my life." I vouched.

"Twenty years ago I fell in love with a guy without knowing he is a vampire. All the years we've been together never once he showed his dark side just always the good ones. When he exposed his true identity I couldn't careless I even love him more and we got married then I got pregnant." She confessed and I listened.

"But it's impossible for us to bear a child unless..." I paused.

"That's right I am his Chosen and apparently have the ability to carry his heir but of course it comes with great sacrifice since I'm human." Her eyes started forming tears.

"What happened?" I can't help but wonder.

"The Council gave me two choices the first one was to be a vampire but I have to give up my pregnancy. Second, I'll keep the child but I'm leaving my husband in exchanged my memories with him will be gone for the secrecy of your race by now you already knew what my decision was." She stared at the photo on her table.

"I'm sorry to bring this up and upsetting you but how come you remember everything now?" I copied her action.

"Because my husband came to me and informed me that our daughter is danger. At first I didn't believe him but part of me does so he requested the Council to bring all my memories back." She further detailed.

"As far as I know the Hunters is our ally so why are they after Ette?" I keep popping out questions.

"Because our daughter is a hybrid she is half human and half vampire. The Hunters believed her vampire side will shut down her humanity and killing will be her mission. They got even more convinced after the killings that happened in Berlin that's why we moved here." She swallowed a lump on her throat.

"She is my Chosen and it's only my right and responsibility to protect her." I claimed.

"Thanks Karl although you know everything about us and my daughter Ette cannot know about this yet. The less she knows the better we have to keep it between us and her father." Eloise gets tense.

"Why?" I pried.

"Ette resents her father for leaving us and I don't think she will take it lightly." She cleared up.

"Now I understand thank you for opening up Eloise." I held her hand.

"I felt better to be honest at least my final skeleton is out." She pats my shoulder.

"I know this is untimely but when will she turned 21?" I suddenly thought of her age.

"In a month time that's why I need to be there with her 24/7 and only you can determine her abilities. Her father is doing his best to discuss it with the Council and the Hunters. If it turns out fine the Hunters won't declare war against vampires. If not they will hunt your race including Ette and kill her." She ended with a sob.

"Is there any other way to convince the Hunters? Because certainly I won't allow Ette to get harm they will have to pass by me." My protective side kicks in.

"We need to find out who's behind the killings both here and in Berlin then present them the evidence. It is the only way that Ette will not be their target." She gave me hope.

"I knew exactly who it is I'm one of the witnesses including our Master. We only need proof that she is the culprit in Berlin's I will discuss this to him immediately." I stood up.

"There is no need for that I heard and knew everything." The well-known person speaks.

"Master." I uttered in shocked.

================================================================================================

Please don't forget to follow, leave a comment or votes in every Chapter ;)

Thank you so much!

••••• MJ Cristine