Chapter 11

"Oh shove over." Mimi says, shouldering me into the window. She struggles within the tangles of her ginormous duffel bag which she still calls a carry-on anyway. "And do some of your video log while while you're at it." She throws a look towards my carry-on where the familiar square shape of the camera is outlined in the fabric of my front pocket.

I nod my head and unwillingly steal my camera from the safety of my backpack. I flip up the tiny screen, automatically bringing the device to life and making the image of my face magically appear. I gulp nervously.

"Just pretend you're confident about this." I mutter to myself, and with a huge fake smile smothered upon my face, I press the record button. "Yo! Hey ya, everyone! What's up? I'm just headin' off to Sing-a-ling-ling-a-pore and I'm in the airplane right now so I'll see ya when I get to Sing-a-ring-ding-a-pore. Bye!" I sit back down in my seat and heave a heavy sigh. "That was so fake." I say, my head flopping into my hands with despair.

"It was fine, at least you didn't sound like a mouse." Mimi says in a way that can either be sarcasm or encouragement. For my own sake, I choose to vote for the latter.

I end up sitting with Mimi to my immediate left and Vay to the left of Mimi. Brian and Tea sit on each end of the row of four beside us with a baby in each of their laps. We were given two extra seats thanks to our Aunty who conveniently works for the airline we're flying with. We all agreed it was only fair to let Brain, Tea, Ty and Mel share out the space. Then to the left of them is Donnie, with my mum sitting at the window. This only leaves my father to be sandwiched between the two of them, but I don't think he cares that much.

I begin to toy around with the T.V. set in front of me before I receive a light slap on the hand.

"Don't put on a movie, you'll miss the take off, that's like the best part." Mimi insists, returning her hand to her lap, interlacing her fingers in a lady-like manner. I mimic her words, but in reality when we take off, I realise it really isn't something you want to miss.

"All cabin crew prepare for take-off." The pilot announces over the P.A. system. The formally dressed flight attendants who were once chatting with nearby passengers scurry off to their seats. We begin the slow make our way to the run way. Although the airplane is moving no faster than a sleepy sloth, I still find that my foot has begun to rapidly bounce, shaking up my knee; a sign that I'm anxious and excited.

We round a corner, officially turning onto the runway. The plane picks up speed, which becomes evident when the jet engines climb up ten rungs on the volume ladder. I instinctively grip the arm rests with both hands, my achilles instantaneously tensing up at the drastic change in speed. The wheels bounce off the ground slightly before returning to the floor again. A common thing when taking off, but it still causes my chest to grow tight. The wheels take a second stab at attempting to lift themselves up and this time they achieve a little more success, bringing the nose of the plane off the ground. I try to catch a glimpse up the isle and when I do so, I see that the plane is on a complete angle. This is something that I, ultimately, know happens during take-off but it only makes my stomach churn which doesn't really help my whole locked feet, tense arms and tight chest situation. The back wheels decide that their time has come and they too begin to bounce off the ground. I look out the side of the window and to my horror I see that we are nearing the end of the runway. Unable to avert my eyes from the scene outside, my head stays craned in an uncomfortable position up against the window, waiting to witness my certain death. And just as I think we're about to crash, the back wheels leap off the ground and we soar into the air, with more then enough clearance over the wire fence at the end of the runway. The environment around me begins to steady as we rise higher and higher into the air. I take a look up the isle a second time and notice that the degree of the angle the plane is on has reduced dramatically. This immediately relaxes my body, calming my breathing to a normal pace. Soon enough, the fasten seatbelt light switches off, ringing out with a peaceful 'ding'.