Chapter 2

Bleep! Bleep! Blee—

Amara quickly swiped across the phone to dismiss the alarm. She checks the time.

7:00 PM

Just enough time to get ready she thought as she bookmarked her page and got up.

Amara placed her newly bought dress on the bed while placing the new phone on charge. She'd gone out earlier and picked up basic necessities along with makeup and a dress. Once she got her towel she walked into the bathroom to hang it and turned on the tap. Amara began to undress before getting in. A million thoughts raced through her head as she stood under the hot spray of water, but she quickly dismissed them and got back to the task at hand.

7:10 PM

"Master Damian, while I understand the need to hunt down the Joker, you still have an image to uphold at tonight's gala. You and Master Bruce can hunt the madman down afterwards." Came Alfred's voice down into the cave as he descended the steps.

Damian sighed as he pushed himself away from the batcomputer and stood up to stretch, "I suppose I must Pennyworth."

Alfred smiled, "I've left a suit on your bed. All you have to do is shower and freshen up."

Damian smiled to himself as he headed up the steps.

7:14 PM

Amara dried her hair then stepped out and wrapped herself in the towel. She walked over to her bed and put on her undergarments before throwing on her robe. Walking back into the washroom she got out her curling iron and grabbed her make up bag.

7:30PM

"A date? Pray tell who you've set me up with this time Dick," Damian seethed, "You know I hate when you medd—"

"I know! I know! But she's a nice person! Just this once Dami! I won't bother you about a date again!"

Damian made a growling noise at the back of his throat, "Just this once, Grayson, and you better stay true to your words." He strode towards the doors after picking up his coat.

7:45 PM

After completing her hair and makeup Amara exited the washroom and shed her robe. She grasped the floor length dress she'd spent a good part of her time hunting for, admired it, and then slipped it on. Amara grabbed her silver clutch and heels, grasped her phone and headed downstairs to wait; trying to focus on not tripping rather than her date.

Thank god I learned makeup, hair and clothes. Now let's hope this night goes just as well.

8:00 PM

As Damian stood in front of his supposed date's doors he hoped she wasn't stuck up, and would at least be tolerable for the night. He sighed before ringing the bell.

A moment later the door swept open to present Amara, in all her beauty with a cashmere shawl woven around her.

But none of that was what registered first with Damian, who was surrounded by physical beauty and wealth on a daily basis. No, what really got to him were her eyes. Complex shades of brown that somehow reminded him of his childhood spent in the desert.

"I suppose you are Damian Wayne?" she offered her hand, breaking the spell, "Amara Crosswell."

Crosswell...?  Damian thought as he shook her hand with a smile.

Why do I feel like I know that name...?

8:15 PM

After spending 15 minutes in comfortable silence with the radio softly playing, they had arrived at the gala, walking in with her arm tucked into the crook of his elbow.

"Ohhh look Alfie! Beauty and the Beast have arrived! I should go welcome them!" Dick waltzed away leaving Alfred to sigh.

"So—"

"Well—"

"Dami! Amara! You two didn't kill each other! I'm so proud." Dick interrupted both of them, wiping away a fake tear.

"Why did you believe you'd have to bury two bodies tonight Grayson?" Damian humoured him.

"No reason..." He sang.

Soon the two began their rounds introducing themselves. While Damian was openly gawked at (as usual) for being a Wayne, confused glances were thrown at Amara when she introduced herself without a last name. Damian raised a brow the first time, but Amara shook her head so he let it be for the time being. However, he was burning with curiosity. 

Just as another woman made her way towards the two Damian asked "Would you like to dance to avoid talking to that lady?"

Amara glanced over quickly before smiling in response. You can fight joker, a half faced madman, a dozen criminals and you can't deal with one more woman. Go figure.

Relieved Damian crosses the hall towards the dance floor where couples were gently swaying.

"So Damian, tell me about yourself."

Damian frowns. I've been fighting crime as long as I can remember. As my father likes to say 'crime never sleeps'. Which means I barely get 4 hours of sleep a week dealing with a Wayne image and being a vigilante. I fight madmen on a daily basis and sometimes I can't get out of bed in the morning, putting the lack of sleep aside and taking pain into consideration, because although I'm a shadow in the night I'm still a human being made of flesh and blood and bones but I have to forget that often. I feel like I'm Renegade and Damian Wayne is the mask. I have a newly stitched cut on my ribs and I have the joker in the back of my mind—" Well there's not much to say."

"Oh come on, you can't expect me to believe that do you? Everyone—"

Dick watches Amara laugh at something Damian says and smiles, "I did well didn't I Alfred?"

Alfred sighs, "Whatever floats your boat Master Dick, whatever floats your boat."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?"

As the night winds down Amara stares into his eyes

I'm drowning in his eyes and I'm not afraid.

Damian quirks an eyebrow in question.

I drowned in his eyes long ago, I've been a sailor lost at sea.

Amara shakes her head.

This is the WORST chapter ever. I've written it twice and it feels horrible. I'm so sorry it took me... *starts counting on fingers* 6 months? Damn. I'm so sorry. I've had a tough 6 months, but I'm finally past this cringe worthy chapter so I can finally get back in the mood and flow of writing. Again I'm so sorry. Feel free to curse me in your head. Also thank you for all the comments even if you just told me to update. It means a lot.