Chapter 13- A Walk Through the Park

Start from the beginning

Allison had an invitation to her apartment on her lips when it occurred to her that was what Halis wanted her to say. She pressed her mouth to his again to give herself a moment to think.

A replay of the night was full of red flags. He chose this park and then angled her onto a path that led them within a five minute walk of Allison's apartment. He might have suggested his place but he wanted her to contradict him. And if that was his plan, strolling in there on his arm was suicide. She couldn't hope to overcome him in a battle of strength.

He meant to kill her. The only advantage Allison had was that he thought her no more than a doxy under his spell. In an all-out fight, she couldn't master him.

Shit. Her concentration blurred as his hands slid up her waist and his fingers explored. Her fingers tightened in his hair and she pulled him harder against her. When they parted, her chest heaved.

"My place?" he repeated.

"No, your sister makes my blood run cold."

"She causes a lot of people to feel that way." His grin implied there were no hard feelings.

His hand reminded her that finding a bed was a pressing factor. And the innocent chit he thought Allison was would be consumed with that desire.

"Here," she used her net glasses to allow him access to her housing information. "Give me an hour? It's a small place. I just want to clean up a little. Maybe, a bath too after work, so I don't smell like grease."

"I don't care what you smell like."

She kissed him, enjoying the insistent feeling spreading from her belly. The brush of her breasts against him added to the pressure of his fingers intoxicated her. Maybe they could consummate this relationship traditionally before...No. Get it done and get out.

"An hour," Allison said.

"An hour." Halis brushed his lips across hers one more time.

The contact elicited a moan from her. Maybe pull him into the trees?

Allison turned and deliberately walked away. Her body burned and it wasn't the sunlight.

All I need to do is kill him. Then, get back and somehow convince the Agency I'm loyal. One step at a time worked best. She'd worry about the Agency later. Would they make a second attempt to see her dead if she returned or let this serve as a warning?

The dingy apartments were lit against the oncoming night when she arrived. All of her neighbors had their curtains drawn tight, light leaking from the cracks. Allison grabbed the rusted metal railing and ran up the stairs to her apartment door. A glance behind her proved Halis wasn't following.

She pressed her ear to the door. After a few minutes, she swiped her key. If there was some sort of trap waiting no noise gave it away. She nudged the door open with her foot, standing back as she pulled it wide.

Before stepping inside, Allison inspected the parking lot behind her. Still no motion out there, just the usual junk vehicles. Was it possible she was wrong and he hadn't meant to trap her? Did he even know where she lived? Maybe, he was so certain of his own victory, he assumed she's fall on his knife. From their encounters alone she would have gleaned that impression but the information she'd gathered suggested otherwise. The Agency was keeping secrets, excluding Red from her assignment. If not for the Police Chief's warning, would she have missed this?

"I'm paranoid," she said.

The entryway light turned on as she stepped inside and shut the door before stepping into the familiar room. Nothing was out of place. If anything had stirred even a hairsbreadth she would have noticed it but the kitchen and small living area were as she left them.