Chapter 1- Rude Customer

Rude Customer.

*Raven's point of view*

"Raven! Get your ass back here!" My boss called from across the café. I ran from the entrance to the bar. Charlie- my co-worker- was standing there, serving an old woman. As soon as I got behind the bar, she threw me an apron- which I caught. The old woman shakily handed her some money.

"You think Zayn will forgive you this time?" She asked as I put on the apron and tied it up.

"Yep," I said, confidently. "I have saved his ass way too many times. He owes me." I served the next person, who wanted a meal off the menu. I scribbled it down and passed it through the small window to the kitchen. I turn and propped my elbows on the counter.

Zayn was my boss. He owned Malik's. But we were the closest people you'd ever meet. I saved his ass about a year and a half ago. I found him dying on the streets- and I helped him. He recalled two other people walking past but not stopping.

I was busy daydreaming when Charlie interrupted my thoughts. "He's not going to forgive you." She said in a sing-song voice. "You been late too many times." She took the last order and walked to the customer.

"Um, yeah, he will." I called.

"I don't think so." She said when she came back.

"I know so." I retorted.

"What are you two arguing about?" A deep voice said from behind. Zayn. I turned and flashed a bright smile- which he returned.

"We were just discussing baking cookies for Raven's Gran." Charlie pointed to the old woman, who was about to leave the café. I saw Zayn's face turn from concern to worry to amusement.

"She's kidding. We were discussing the fact that you'd let me off. By the way, would you tell me off for not doing something?" I asked Zayn. He threw an arm around my shoulders.

"No, why?"

"Because, I didn't get through them doors on time." I pointed, then fluttered my eyelashes and pleaded him with puppy dog eyes.

"Of course," he said and kissed my temple. I smirked at Charlie. Then her phone rang. "Charlie, you know! Phones off at work!"

"I'm sorry!" She stuttered, fiddling for her phone. "It's Ryley! He lives a way away and I never get to speak to him!" She continued in her baby like accent. I gave Zayn 'the look', meaning 'cut her some slack'. He sighed.

"Charlie, I know how important this 'Ryley' kid is to you, but work is also. Therefore, you have five minutes." Charlie stared at him in shock. Only then I realized her phone stopped ringing. She hugged Zayn around his neck and chanted 'thank you, thank you, thank you!' over and over. Then she ran out through the kitchen.

"You have a big heart." I said to Zayn. He smiled a small smile. I had the night shift with Charlie at this café. Meaning, we get a lot of 'visitors'. But Zayn keeps us safe. I don't know what it is about him, but dangerous characters keep their distance after 'the glare'.

Zayn was the type of guy that would look out for anyone. Especially me. But I think that it is because I saved him, that he seems to think that he owes me his life.

Charlie came back almost ten minutes later. Nothing had happened in between, except Zayn went back to his office. I was busy cleaning a table in the corner, when the bell went off, signalling someone had entered. I disregarded the customer, an moved on to another table. The silence fell in the café. After I had finished, I walked back to the counter.

"You go serve him." Charlie said in a hushed whisper.

"What?"

"That guy, over there." She discreetly pointed. My head snapped that way, and I did a double take. There was, I'd say, a twenty year old man sitting in the corner of one of the tables I had previously cleaned. He had a leather jacket, dark skinnies, a white tee and a beanie on. His hair was a chocolate brown and feathered, where it was pushed to the side. He was hunched over and he looked like he was staring intently at his hands, laid out on the table,