Windmill and Tulips [5]

(Jazelle)

“Hey. Wake up.”

I jolt awake as I felt someone nudge me and when I opened my eyes, all I could see was a vast dark space with millions of shining diamonds surfaced on it. But what shocked me more is that I was lying on something soft.

“Princess. Sit properly already. My leg’s been sleeping for half an hour now.

What?!

I sat up, and I just realized that I was resting my head on Seth’s thigh. He didn’t look at me as he seems busy on the plastic bag he was holding. We were at the back of a pick-up truck, parked in an open field, stars looming above us.

“Where are we?” I mumbled, enough for him to hear. This place is so beautiful…so breathtaking.

“In a field.” He said, absently taking out the food from the bag.

“I know we’re in a field, dumbass. I mean, where is this place?”

“Oh. Just a few minutes away from the city. Boundary between the town and the countryside. Sometimes I stop by here from school and do my assignments and project.”

“Hmmm…” I glanced around and it was so quiet. Fresh breezy air wrapped around us, giving me goose bumps.

“Here. It’s cold.” He said, handing me his jacket. He wasn’t even looking at me, still busy arranging the food.

I stared at him but took the jacket. “Why are you here?”

“Food.” He replied, still onto opening the packages.

I groaned and scratched my head. “You really are annoying, aren’t you?”

He glanced at me with the corner of his eye, frowning. “Now what? You told me I am doing here. I answered food, because it is food that I came here for.”

“Seriously. What I mean is that why are you here! With me! Why did you call? Why are you in front of our place?”

“I already told you about your step…them right? I was supposed to check on you a few days ago but work became so hectic that I had to work overnight.” He threw something like a wrapper on the plastic beside him. “I already came across these kinds of situations so I know the possibilities you might be experiencing. And I was right.”

“Why are you doing this? If you didn’t like me…why are you always helping me?”

He glanced over me, successfully opening a pack of freshly baked Mac n Cheese and handing them to me. “How many times do I have to explain it to you before you understand that I am indebted to your father?”

“Okay! Okay! So you mean,” I took a bite from this alien food. I have never eaten one of these before but I always heard from my classmates that they are delicious. “That father paid for your educational expenses in exchange for taking me in when something happens with me?”

He gave a slight nod. “Correct.”

I found myself completely digging in, taking another serving, gulping down half of the diet coke and chomping on some pizza.

“Whoa. Steady, princess. We have all night.”

Ignoring him, I took another serving of the Mac n Cheese. I feel like I wasn’t able to eat for a month. No kidding. I feel really empty right now and I think this isn’t enough. By the time I felt my stomach rejecting anything I try to eat, Seth seems to be doing something on the top of his pick-up car.