The Eternal Ones :16: Sweet Sacrifice

I was very curious about what he was talking about. I watched as he made his way to the closet and pulled out a small dusty chest. He opened it and held up an amulet with the crest on it.

"This..." he said, "Can help us be together without me having to turn you."

"But how? I don't get it." I said.

"On the full-bloods' feast day, it's a tradition that it lands on the night of a crescent moon. There's this weird spell thing that my vamp parents used to tell me about. It has this chant and there's things that we're going to need." he said.

"Emmit...what does it do?" I asked.

"If it's done precisely, then we become human, again." he said.

"What if it doesn't work as planned?" I asked.

He gave me this serious look. I knew what that meant. They would be gone.

"I should inform the others." he said.

"Wait." I said, "I don't know if I want you to do this. I don't want to risk losing you...or any of you. Wouldn't it just be easier to turn me into a vampire?"

"I told you. I don't want you to suffer." he said, "And because I have you, this might actually work this time."

"You've tried this before?" I asked.

"Yeah. Do you remember when I said that Violet, Dax and Kaige were the only full-bloods left?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well...take a wild guess and figure out what happened to the other full-bloods." he said, "Something went wrong and that's why we haven't tried it since."

"If one mistake is strong enough to wipe out all of those full-bloods, then you definitely can't do this." I said, "You guys would almost be guaranteed to vanish."

"It's a risk that we have to take." he said, "And I'm willing to take the risk just for you."

"I'm scared." I said.

"Don't be." he said and kissed me, "This will work out right this time. I will make sure of it."

The door opened and in walked Nayte and Jade.

"Hey guys." they said.

"Nayte, Jade." Emmit said, "Where's mom and dad."

"They're back at the mansion. Damn, it took a while to get rid of those full-bloods." Nayte said.

"Why are you holding that amulet?" Jade asked.

"Emmit, you're not talking about..." Nayte started out.

"Yeah, I am." Emmit said.

"You can't. You're risking all of our lives." Jade said.

"What life? You're a vampire. Technically, you have no life." Emmit said.

"You know what she means." Nayte said, "How could you possibly think about doing this?"

"I want to be with Hayden. But not like this. Not as a creature of the darkness." Emmit replied, "I want to be normal again."

"Do you know what you're up against? The forces you're planning on using are dangerous." Jade said, "No offense but what about us? How could you be so selfish?"

"Fine, don't help me then." Emmit said.

"We're sorry. But we can't do that." Nayte said.

"We'll be downstairs." Jade said as they walked out of the room.

"Emmit?" I said.

"I guess it's up to us." he said.

I looked down at the floor.

"You don't want me to do this either, do you?" he said, disappointed.

"I'm sorry. I'm glad that you care so much but it seems too risky. I don't want to lose you that way." I said.

He put the amulet down and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Okay, I won't." he said.

Emmit's P.O.V

I know that I said I would never lie to her but I had to do this. I could handle making the preparations on my own. I just hope that everything turns out as planned.