Freedom...Or Was It?

Calista's P.O.V
I waited until midnight. Dr. Fate was always at Justice League headquarters at this time of day...or night...whatever. I slipped on my black converse shoes. I used the magic that Dr.Fate (Kent Nelson) had taught me before he died. I levitated out of my bedroom window. I landed carefully on the ground and ran to the cover of the buildings.

My first thought was that Fate was going to kill me, but it was quickly replaced by a feeling of thrill and excitement. It had been three years since I had been in the free world. The Justice League would be mad once they found out that I was gone. I knew, though, that they wouldn't find out I was gone for maybe a day at least. I often didn't see Fate for a day or so.

I walked away from the Tower of Fate, which is located in Salem, Massachusetts, and boarded a bus at the closest bus stop.

Why did I board the bus? I had grown up in Gotham City, not Salem. It would be a couple hours until I was actually in Gotham. No, I wouldn't let my family see me. They thought that I was dead. If they saw me, they would think they were going insane. No, I'd definitely stay away. But I wanted to see them at least.

I did the math. My brother would be a senior in high school! I can't believe it. I've been gone for so long.

When I arrived in Gotham City, I walked to my old home.

I looked at my watch. 4:00am. My brother did track when I knew him. I wonder if  he still ran? By Nabu's shiny helmet, I wish I had never died. If I hadn't been caught up in that stupid gunfight... no I won't even go there. Too many bad memories.

I watched the house from an adjacent roof. I watched as my brother, Lucas, came out of the door. I caught a brief glimpse of my mother.

"Don't be late coming home tonight! Today is her birthday, remember?"

It was 4:30. He had changed much since I had last seen him. His hair was a chestnut brown and had grown longer and shaggier over three years. He was long and lean, but well muscled. He was dressed in basketball shorts. He wore a plain white shirt. The only thing that made us even look related was our matching cobalt blue eyes. He held a phone to his ear. Curiosity compelled me to take a closer look.

"Yes," I heard him say in to the cell phone. His voice was deeper than I remembered. "Of course I'll be available tonight."

Tonight? Didn't Mom just say not to stay out late? I'm not sure how I felt about this.

He spoke again. "No, I won't be at home," it was silent for a moment, "Especially, because of today."

Why would today be so special? Was it because it was my birthday? Were they mourning me? If so, why didn't he want to be there?

"Look, Kyle, I know it's her birthday. Yes, I know you'll get blamed if I don't show up, but I just can't. I can't mourn anymore. Calista wouldn't want us to have this...this ritual," He sounded outraged.

Kyle! I remember Kyle. He had been the son of an old family friend. He and my brother were super close. Since they had become so close as friends, I had become close to him as well. Of course he would be there tonight. My brother was right about one thing, though. I didn't like the idea of a 'ritual mourning.'

I watched him walk away. I had had my fun with ease dropping. I walked out onto the street, barely noticing the rising sun. I was lost in my thoughts. A golden light appeared. Darn, he was fast, I thought. I looked up to see Dr. Fate in front of me. I didn't know he'd be back so early.

"I am in so much trouble," I said.

"Undoubtedly so," Nabu's voice rang with that of his host.

I was brought back to the Tower of Fate via magic ankh teleportation. I was dismayed to see the one and only Batman glaring daggers at me. If looks could kill...