‘Perhaps you prefer to be my mistress, that comes with  lots of benefits __’

He did not get to finish his sentence as she instinctively raised her hand and struck him across his face.  Astounded at what this man made her resort to, Sybrina’s hands covered her mouth in shock.  Look what he’d made her do!  After all the violence she’d suffered at the hand of her parent, she had sworn to herself that another human being would not suffer that fate at her hand, yet look how angry this rake had made her, that she succumbed to what she professed she’d never do.  Perhaps she was just like her father.  Perhaps she had a violent streak in her after all.  The apple did not fall far from the tree. 
No, no I can’t be like him, I can’t!

Sybrina turned away and sobbed.  She felt ashamed of her lack of control.  He was a gentleman, how could she strike him?  She felt his palm gently placed on her shoulder.  His gentle manner just made her sob louder.  He leaned closer, wrapping his arms around her, drawing her against his chest.

‘Leave me alone.  Just go away.  Look what you made me do,’ she sobbed hysterically.

‘I’m sorry,’ he turned her in his arms.  ‘I was out of line.  I provoked you,’ he confessed.

‘Just leave me my lord.  I don’t wish you to see me this way.  Please go,’ she whispered.

‘I’m not going anywhere,’ he removed her hands, and kissed away her tears.  ‘Tell me you forgive me,’ he murmured.

‘No. I am sorry,’ she whispered. ‘I am sorry for striking you.’

‘I deserved it__.’

‘No!  She rejected angrily, ‘nobody deserved to be hit.  Nobody deserves to be abused. No human being should do that to another,’ she sobbed.

Is this about some dark secret of her past?

‘Please don’t cry my sweet,’ he begged.  ‘I cannot see you this distraught,’ he held her tightly, kissing her eyes, her ear lobe.

She tried to move her head away, but it just made it easier for him to capture her lips.  He would not release her. His lips teased hers gently, brushing them softly apart, until she yielded to the desire rising inside her like a burning flame.  Abandoning her resolve, she whimpered, and succumbed, throwing her arms around him and kissed him back hungrily.  Their tongues lashed against each other, tasting, delighting, teasing and embracing.  She clung to him, like her life depended on that connection.  His hands slid through the buttons of her gown, it touched the cool satin bodice that separated his hand from her beautiful round breasts.  He heard her cry out a muffled sound of delight.  He held her so tightly, she could feel his aroused body pressing against her, but she was inexperienced to know how to deal with it.

‘Sybrina!’ 
Neither of them had heard the door open behind them, or observe the man whose voice thundered angrily in the air, causing them to hastily step apart.

‘Papa!’

The earl stared at the well dressed man who seemed to fill the room.  He certainly lived well, if his huge frame was anything to go by.  His clothes spoke of extreme wealth, but his eyes were cold, hard and ruthless. 
This was her father! 
This is the cad that was responsible for all the pain he saw in Sybrina’s eyes when she’d not been quick enough to hide it.

‘Pray what in God’s name are you doing child?  Is this why you ran away from home?  To disgrace yourself, bring dishonour to my name, by throwing yourself at the first man you__’

‘Sir, your daughter has not brought dishonour __’

‘Be quiet lad!’ the man thundered again, ‘I am Edmund Lambcombe, Marquis of Carisbrooke.  ‘How dare you address me so disrespectfully?’