"Oh I know he'll be there. High as hell but he'll be there." Lucy chuckled.

    "When are you gonna tell him?"

    "On the 32nd of Nopetember."

    "You wanna act like this is just gonna go away but I'm telling you now, as your friend, it won't. It's gonna sit there as long as you let it, staring you straight in the face."

    "Well then, I hope it takes a picture."

    Cam takes a deep breath as he pulls into Lucy's driveway.

    "Wanna come up for a quick puff?" Lucy offers.

    "I don't...smoke. Besides, I have work tonight. But I'll see you at that party tomorrow, right?"

    Lucy leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He wanted to turn his head to meet her lips but he left it alone.

    "Thanks for the ride," she said, never answering his question but shooting a smile as she hopped out the car.

. . . . .

    Meanwhile back on campus, Swazz shows up to football practice still in his regular clothes. He puts on an act as if he were sick.

    "Coach," he groaned, holding his stomach. "I've been sick all day. I don't think I can do practice today."

    "Very funny Swift," the Coach folded his arms. "I saw you earlier laughin' with your friends, you're not getting off that easy. Suit up...you're late."

    Swazz should've known better than to try and put something past his Coach. He got dressed in the locker room, alone. After looking at the dark bruises on his stomach & back, he popped two painkillers even though they would make him drowsy.

    Finally he made it to the field and got right into practice. Coach made him practice on the football sled. When it was time to actually play, Swazz still wasn't putting forth his best effort. And it wasn't because of the painkillers, it was because they haven't kicked in yet. Swazz simply didn't want to feel anymore pain than he already was. Coach blew the whistle.

    "Swift! Get your ass over here! What the hell was that?!"

    "Sorry Coach," Swazz replied taking the mouthguard out of his mouth.

    "Are you on drugs? Have you been drinking? What's goin' on son? This entire week you've been half-assin' it on my field and you're not only letting me down, you're letting yourself down...you're letting your team down."

    "Coach...I...I don't know okay? I'm just having a bad couple of weeks."

    "A bad couple of- okay well I'll tell you what," Coach shook his head. "I'm gonna have to bench you for the first game. Kiger will have to take your spot. I'm sorry."

    Coach blew his whistle again. And Swazz stood there feeling a mixture of disbelief and indifference.

. . . . .