"Ha, I don't suppose you know where we are?" Basher asked.

"I was following you!"

"I wasn't thinking. I guess we should go back to the central courtyard. I thought the guest rooms were across from the treasure room on the south...

"The west, I think."

They turned around and headed back the way they came.

"I'm sorry about Akemi," Basher said. "And Juliet, also."

"Me, too. I'm glad she wasn't terrified though," Claire's voice wobbled, and Basher fought the urge to put his arm around her. "Sage said she was brave."

"Speaking of Sage... he seems a bit different than before."

"You think?" Claire's voice was carefully neutral.

"I do. We've only been back a matter of hours, and it's already clear that he's not the same. I..." Basher took a deep breath. "To be completely honest, I will always hate the idea of you and him together, but I can't say that it would be entirely wrong. Whatever you decide to do, I won't think less of you."

"I appreciate that." Neutral voice.

Basher forced a laugh. "Good, because it's not easy to say."

Claire kept her face averted. "I agree with you that it wouldn't be wrong... but I'm not going to try it. I'm not in love with him anymore." They took a left, retracing their steps, and the shadows of the trees fell on them with every other step.

Basher was relieved, but he felt distinctly uncomfortable talking about this with her. She'd made her position with him clear.

"Aren't you going to ask me why?" Claire finally said.

"I'm not sure I have the right to ask."

They were back in the central courtyard and Claire stopped walking and put her hand on the beautiful silvery bark of the central tree. "I'm sorry I yelled at you on the ship. I'm sorry I said I didn't trust you. It's not true. I trust you more than anyone I've ever met."

Basher waited, knowing she wasn't done speaking from the way she shifted her weight.

"When Sage was about to die, I was horrified, but I wasn't heartbroken. I was so thankful you were there. I wasn't even scared of Faal, because I knew you would do anything to protect me. I don't know if I'm in love with you, but I think... I could be. I trust you enough to try. If you still want to." She stuck her hands in her pockets now, as she did when she was embarrassed at sharing too much, but Basher caught one of her hands. He knew what trust meant to her. In a way, it was a bigger hurdle than love. You can fall for someone dangerous, but you can't trust them.

Basher could feel her unease, but he didn't let go of her hand. He could tell her he didn't need to try, he already loved her. He could tell her that she could take her time, though in all honesty he hoped she wouldn't take too long. He could tell her that he was more excited about staying with her than anything he'd done in his adult life.

Or he could tell her all that later. "Sounds like a good plan." He squeezed her hand. "And I think the first part should involve getting you back to Earth. We can go to Florida and see your family. I'll get my mother down on a flight from New York. I'm sure she could use a vacation."

Claire smiled and Basher knew he'd handled that the right way, not rushing her.

"My dad could take us scuba diving," Claire said. "He has all this extra equipment."

"Right!" Basher leaned one shoulder against the tree. "I can't wait to take you home."

Claire squeezed his hand again and Basher felt a rush of joy. Maybe he shouldn't have given his unused wedding rings to Sam. He might need them again himself.