Chapter 26

Basher rose respectfully with the others as the Pontifex and the Diarena left the room. There seemed to be more air without them and Basher took a deep breath. He hadn't formed any expectation of the Pontifex, but if he'd thought about it, he probably would have expected to dislike him as much as he'd disliked Faal.

The Pontifex, however, didn't repulse Basher the way Faal had. He had power and arrogance, but it was tempered by a healthy dose of practicality, and (Basher suspected) a sense of humor. He was also courteous to everyone, which Basher thought marked a rather greater dignity than Faal had possessed. When Claire had spoken up about the appointment of a faal for Merith II, Basher had expected him to give her a scathing rebuke at best, but instead he'd seemed impressed by her boldness.

Claire sat rather limply in her chair now, looking completely wrung out.

Sam was still excited. He turned to Sage. "Exactly what resources would you need to do this switch? I know you said the infrastructure is in place, but if the qualified personnel have left the planet – or been executed – what kind of numbers are we talking?"

Sage began to explain, and Sam and Nat leaned in to confer with him.

Basher caught Claire's eye. "Just like old times," he said, nodding at Sam and Nat.

She smiled and Sage glanced at her, but Sam asked him another question so he was forced to turn back to them.

Basher jerked his head at the door. "You want to go find some food?"

"I am starving," Claire admitted.

"No joke." Basher got to his feet. "We haven't eaten since... I don't know, feel s like a long time ago."

Claire glanced at the others and Nat said, "Go ahead, we'll come later." Basher saw Nat discreetly kick Sam when he opened his mouth. Sage was making a list of his associates on a pad of paper, and he didn't look up from it.

Basher walked with Claire through the quiet central courtyard.

"I feel like I've gone deaf," Claire said unexpectedly. "It's so quiet here, after the mob. I feel like I've been in a blaring concert and now my ears are ringing."

"I feel like I've been sprinting on a treadmill and now it's stopped and I can't get my balance," Basher admitted. "Sitting in that conference actually hurt."

He took a right onto a tree-lined pathway at the north end of the courtyard. "Sage's idea is brilliant... I'm glad there's another solution for the Rik. The possibility of a solution, at least."

Claire nodded. "It's so simple. I can't believe nobody thought of it before."

"That's the thing about great solutions, they usually seem ridiculously simple in retrospect."

"That's true."

"This could be the solution to the human problem too... if the Pontifex is willing to negotiate about the Rik, perhaps he'll end the war before it's really started." They followed a gentle curve in the pathway.

"Hopefully." Claire face suddenly lit up. "Oh! I wish I could see the faces of the tribunal when Sam gets to tell them he's ended the war."

Basher laughed too. "That's going to be amazing. Though I give them credit for enough good sense to be truly glad to hear the news."

They came to a fork in the tree-lined walkway and they both stopped.

Basher suddenly realized he had no idea how to get to Sam and Nat's suite from here. They'd gone directly from the courtyard to the war room earlier and Sam had only quickly pointed out where the human suite was situated.