I stopped pacing back and forth to stare out the window instead.

"Would you stop moving for two seconds?" Palika asked. "You're making me antsy." I looked down at my hands, realizing that they were twining themselves together.

"Why are you so antsy anyway?" Palika asked, getting up from the couch and coming to stand next to me.

"Adrenaline, paranoia. What do I know?"

"You know a lot," Palika mumbled. "There's a lot going on in that brain of yours." His lips were so close to my ear that his breath steamed the inside of it. My muscles clenched so tight I thought that I was going to pass out. My shoulders came up to my ears, hitting Palika in the face.

"Please...Don't do that ever again," I breathed, walking slowly away from the window. My steps faltered about two strides in, and I fell into the wall.

"Lekia!" Palika shouted. His hands wrapped around my bicep, sending another shock wave up my spine. This time a flash of the bar accompanied it.

"Don't touch me!" I screeched. He backed up from me quickly, putting his hands up in a weak attempt of defense.

"I'm sorry," he breathed, trying to calm me down. "I was just trying to help."

"Don't!" I shouted. Another flash overtook my mind just then. I woke up a second later on the ground, covering my ears, and Palika crouched in front of me.

"Am I interrupting something?" I jumped from my spot on the floor nearly up to the ceiling. (Well, that was a hyperbole. You get my drift, though.)

Carly stood in the doorway, a look of amusement on her face.

"Just Palika annoying me. Which I thank you immensely for." Carly spared a curious look at Palika.

"And you aren't in school because...?" She asked. Palika's face turned beet red under his blonde hair.

"Him and Lansing have been on my tail for a good two weeks now. They've even made me go to school early with Palika and wander aimlessly until my classes start. So I bargained with Palika to let me stay home."

"It's not aimlessly!" Palika argued. "Don't you go around with...what's his name?"

"His name is Tristan!" I snapped. "And I have to sit in every one of his classes, dodging looks from curious jerks."

"It saves gas!" Palika threw back with a finality. I didn't stop there, though.

"Going later saves me from interacting with people!"

"Both of you, shut up," Carly laughed. "Palika, get your butt to school. I'll watch over Lekia."

"I'm not six!" I growled. "Add ten to that number and then we'll get there." Carly waved a hand at me, signaling we'd get into that later. She was focused on Palika and getting him out of the house.

Needless to say, I shut my mouth quickly.

"Come on, Palika. Get a move on," Carly stepped aside so the door stood open to walk through. Palika looked at me for a good five seconds before sighing and taking a first step towards the door.

A wave of remorse crashed over my body. He'd given me help, albeit with a catch, but he'd gotten me out of that place. The least I could do was give him what I agreed to.

"Palika, wait." I reached out and grabbed his wrist. Looking him directly in the eyes, I said with all the sincerity I could muster, "Thank you. Tonight works for me." His eyes lit up, and his mouth twitched into a small smile.