Chapter 4

My fists connect with the punching bag in the comforting rhythm I associate with the gym. Music blared in my ears, Imagine Dragons singing about how they were radioactive. Sweat ran down my face and arms, dripping onto the floor. 

I’d lost track of how long I’d been in the gym. It’d probably been a couple hours or so by now. 

My lips moved with the words of the song blaring through my earphones. Every now and then, I sudden flash of memory would appear before my eyes. This time, it was the gunshots that killed my sisters.

“Focus, soldier,” my father’s voice demolishes my thoughts as he pulls out my ear bud. “Just punch. Don’t think of anything else.” I nod, plugging my ear phone back in.

I’m not just seeing the bag anymore, though. I’m seeing Aaron in front of me. Everything else dissolves into nothingness, and my world slows down. Aaron doesn’t even have a chance to get in a punch before I dig into him. 

He doesn’t stand a chance. Aaron is covered in a mess of his own blood when I deliver the high kick that sends him flying backwards. 

My breath is shallow and labored as I wait for him to get back onto his feet and fight for his pride. But he doesn’t rush me like I expect him to. Instead, he struggles to his feet and leans against the wall behind him. 

“I’m impressed,” is all he says. I take a step forward, intending to threaten him. But as I blink, Aaron slowly morphs back into my father. 

I’d kicked the punching bag so hard, he’d lost his grip and flown back. 

“Take a break,”  he smiles, walking towards the office in the gym. Probably to talk to Nigel. They were good friends before he disappeared. 

I sank to the ground in front of the swinging punching bag. What would happen if I did that without a punching bag between me and the victim? With that amount of force, a few broken ribs would be the least amount of damage. I could end up killing them by puncturing a lung. 

These flashes had to get under control. 

“Hey, what’s up?” a voice came from above. I looked up into the concerned face of Palika.

“Nothing much,” I breathed quietly. “Just training.”

“Yeah,” he whistled, “I can tell. Pretty sure your dad slid a good two feet.”

“I’m getting stronger,” I say, staring into nothingness. And it scares me.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing,” he smirks, offering his hand. I take it, grudgingly, and pull myself up.

“It hasn’t been yet,” I state as my father catches my eye over his shoulder. “I’ve gotta get back to it.” I begin to walk away, but Palika latches onto my elbow. 

He should really learn not to do that anymore. 

“You’re with Lansing this weekend, right?” he asks. I shoot a look at his hand. 

“Sorry,” he exclaims, realizing his mistake. I relax. Even people accidentally bumping into me makes me tense now-a-days.

“Yeah,” I breathe, not looking him in the eye. “He lives closer to the school.”

“Two more days left of freedom and then you’re like the rest of us,” Palika smiles, hoping his humor will at least cause my mouth to twitch. 

It doesn’t. I’ve been dreading the day since it was set.

“Yeah,” is all I manage to get out before making my way back to my father. Looking to escape the thoughts that plague me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~