Chapter 15: Green-chested Sparrow

Start from the beginning

-"... So..."—Troye asked—"... Are you sure... you don't want to talk about it?"

-"... I... I rather not to. It's very... personal."—Connor answered, his eyes fixed on the road ahead.

The fatigue from walking so long under the autumn sun was already starting to affect Connor, sweat running down his forehead and his feet going sore. The forest around him kept changing shapes and colors, all forms of greens and browns as far as the eye could see, and the sound of every living thing crawling around each corner. He walked tired and, just as everyone else, eager to find the damned bird so that they could catch a break.

-"You do know that I'm here, you know. If you need me."—Troye said, each word more determined than his previous one.

-"I do. Really. It's just that..."

Connor didn't know what it was.

All his life, the accident years ago and what came from it had been a secret, forbidden to be spoken aloud. It didn't only bring back terrible memories, but it also made every nightmare become real.

It appeared in front of him, all over again.

The screaming of his parents fighting on the front seat of the car.

The sound of lightning and rain.

The honking of the red truck that collided against them, like a bullet ending a man's life...

Connor had had his fair share of therapists and psychologists in the past. They had all cared so very much and had been oh so concerned, or so they said. He knew that to them he was just another filer to fill, another tragic child to meet once a day so that they wouldn't do anything stupid when the system didn't have their eyes on them. He'd always nodded to everything they said, spoken when asked and then left. Nothing went wrong. The papers were all signed. The forms were filled. Connor wasn't a serious case, he was manageable. Less to worry about for the system.

So it had been years since Connor had spoken to anyone about what had happened, and even Alexis had learned to respect that.

-"... Is it ok if I ask something? I promise it's not about that."

Connor doubted Troye's word, but nodded granting him his permission regardless.

-"The day you first arrived here, at the gas station."—Troye asked, seemingly being quite cautious with his words—"Did you see whom I was with?"

Connor frowned at the strange question. If he recalled correctly, he had seen Troye hugging a girl and getting into a car with her. He didn't remember anything else. He did remember how much he despised that Troye paid for what they bought at the gas station, regardless the good intention. The memory made him grumpier than what he already was.

-"I saw someone from far away."—Connor said, then turning to Troye—"Why? Wasn't it Lia?"

-"No, no... it... wasn't her..."

Whatever was the reason for Troye's question, Connor decided to leave the subject there. He didn't want to become too involved, or else he'd feel like he would have to say stuff in return to give back to Troye for telling him his. He didn't need that. He didn't want to owe someone. Not even his friend.

At least he was no longer pissed at him for picking up his family picture the night before. Troye had also gotten that the reason why Connor had left his house the other day was because, well, his family reminded Connor too much of his past. And even without being a foster kid himself, Troye understood how much that had to hurt.

Well, he didn't understand how much. But he could imagine it.

-"Tell you what?"—Troye said, earning Connor's attention—"I know it's only been a month since we've met and everything, but given all that's happened... you know, I really do consider you my friend."