Chapter 14

Delilah Meets Her Match

Chapter 14

**********************************

Benjamin was happy to finally have Delilah to himself. He was glad there were miles between Amy and themselves. Looking down at his sleeping wife a tender smile spread across his face. She was exhausted from the events of the day before so he decided to let her sleep. He quietly snuck out of the room and out the cabin door to go for a walk. He rambled around and came upon a brook. He followed it until he came upon a spot that was grassy and level with a big tree that would provide shade at midday. He decided that it would be a perfect spot for a picnic. Happy with the prospect of the day ahead he headed back to the cabin and his wife.

When Benjamin got back he discovered that Delilah was still asleep. He decided to make them breakfast hoping the delicious aroma would wake the sleepy head up, if not he would surprise her by serving hers in bed. The first thing he did was find the roses he had cut the evening before and put them in a vase to set on the table or tray which ever. After that he put the coffee on to perk then found a skillet and got the bacon frying. While that was cooking he got out the eggs, a spatula, and bread for toast. He found some dishes and flatware and placed them by the roses on the table for the time being. He had pulled the bacon off and put bread in the oven to toast since there was no toaster when he heard a knock at the door. He wondered who that could be. Wiping his hands he went to see.

Opening the door Benjamin exclaimed; "What are you doing here!"

Caleb just stood there with a silly grin on his face and Amy by his side. Amy answered for him saying; "You were in such a hurry last night that you left some of your provisions behind in the cooler. Mrs. Hawksworth's maid found them this morning. She was going to send them by a servant but Caleb offered to bring them since he knew the way up here and he let me ride along, wasn't that sweet of him?"

Caleb and Amy were spared Benjamin's thoughts on the matter because Delilah came in sniffing at the air asking; "Benjamin what is burning?"

Taking off for the kitchen he yelled; "My toast!" He arrived just in time to rescue it from a complete disaster. He took a butter knife and scraped off the burnt part and was able to save it. While he was buttering the toast they came to see what he was doing. On seeing what he had been doing Delilah said; "Oh Benjamin, you fixed breakfast, how sweet. Oh, and you brought some of the roses from the garden." She lifted the vase and smelled the roses with a sigh.

Benjamin stayed quiet. He was glad that Caleb had brought the rest of their provisions but he should have known better than to bring Amy along. She was a chatter box when she was around Delilah and he didn't know if he would ever get her to leave now that she was here. Hinting that they should bring in the provisions so that they could be on their way he then turned to Delilah and asked; "How do you like your eggs?"

Caleb knew that Benjamin was irritated because he brought Amy along. That's why he did it. He was in the mood to have some more fun. He acted like he didn't get the meaning. After they brought in the provisions he and Amy sat down at the table and asked; "So, what do you all have planned for the day?"

The look on Benjamin's face was priceless as he cleared his throat from the eggs he had choked on when he heard his brother's question. Delilah jumped up with a napkin to dab the tears off his face that had slid out of his eyes while he had been coughing and proceeded to rub his back asking; "Oh dear, are you all right? Can I get you some water?"