Chapter 5: Lights, Camera and Unexpected Action

The tickets arrived about a week later. I pulled them out of the envelope and read the bold print over and over enthusiastically. Now the real countdown could begin.

From then on concentrating in class was really difficult; even in math I totally spaced out. My mind completely ignored the geometry questions in front of me and chose to wander instead. I imagined what it would be like to see Brett in the flesh, performing on stage. Then I daydreamed about the idea of actually seeing him face-to-face and shaking his hand. The thought of it alone was too much to fathom.

In the meantime, I kept on checking YouTube for updates on Dylan's channel. A few people had commented on a video I had uploaded of Dylan recently. It was a cover of a Brett Myers song called "Miles Away", a soft acoustic track from his latest album. The comments were really short, but positive, such as

"Nice cover", and

"I like your voice"

The rest of the videos I'd uploaded had no comments or likes, but some had been viewed a couple of times. It wasn't much, but it was a start.

Eventually the remaining two weeks passed and I didn't have to daydream anymore. 

"So are you guys excited?" asked Mom as she drove us to the show.

"Yeah!" we both chirped from the backseat.

"I can't wait!" I yelled.

"I remember going to my very first concert," Mom said, quickly glancing at us through the rearview mirror. She paused for effect. "Bon Jovi. Front row seat."

"BON JOVI?!" I spat out.

She nodded with a smile. "This was before they became mega famous. It was a pretty small venue, but they  were still pretty amazing. I got Jon Bon Jovi's autograph, too. I'll never forget it."

"I like Bon Jovi. They remind me of anchovies," Dylan said with a smile.

"You hate anchovies," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but..." Dylan stopped to think for a while. "I don't know what I'm saying, I'm just really excited."

I laughed at him.

"I still can't believe we're actually going to meet Brett," he continued.

"I know. It's crazy! One thing's for sure, though: I am not gonna act like an idiot in front of him. I'm gonna be completely calm and collected. The last thing I want is for Brett Myers to think that I'm some creepy, crazy fangirl."

Dylan commended me on my thinking. "Yeah, you definitely don't want that."

"Turn around when possible," an automated voice rang.

"Mom, I think you've gone the wrong way," I said.

"Darn it! I've missed the exit."

Luckily, after a few twists and turns, Mom was able to find her way back to the main road and we arrived at the arena a good half hour before the show.

Once inside, we flashed our tickets and waited in line to be allowed into the arena. The moment the belt was dropped, Dylan and I made a beeline for the standing area. We managed to get about four rows away from the front, with a great view of the stage.

As we waited for the show to start, I looked around the arena. Surrounding us in a U-shape were rows and rows of seating areas, each one more elevated than the last. Every seat was occupied as far as I could tell. Some seating areas were divided by balconies, with many people squeezing in to fit so they could stand and lean against the balustrade in front in anticipation and excitement. I started to wonder what the view was like from up there when the overhead lights illuminating the arena were suddenly dimmed. Showtime.