Chapter 36: Wedding

It was Saturday. Annie and Brian's big day had finally arrived. After months and months of preparation, the morning of their wedding day was the busiest of them all.

All of the women were getting ready at Mrs Tanner's house, while the guys were over at Brian's family house. There were so many of us rushing around upstairs, it was a complete frenzy. Annie had a serious case of the wedding jitters. I could hear her panicking from the next room as Judy, her maid of honour, helped her get ready.

"Stop fiddling with your hair, you're going to ruin it," my mom said. She was already dressed in a long blue gown that complimented her slim figure quite nicely and now she was helping me get ready.

"I don't think it will matter that much. It's not like I'll be the centre of attention today," I argued. Or ever, I silently added. 

"You're still a bridesmaid. You won't be behind the camera all of the time," Mom reminded me.

I rolled my eyes. I was trusting Xander with my camera. He was supposed to film the wedding while I was doing bridesmaid stuff. I still didn't know whether that was a good idea or not. Letting Xander use my camera, I mean.

I could feel Mom tugging at my hair a little. "Ow! What is that? What are you putting in my hair?" I asked.

"Calm down, it's just a hair clip."

I tugged at the thin piece of metal lodged in my hair. "That's a hair clip? It looks like a twig with a spider on it!" 

"Stop touching it!" Mom ordered me.

Judy popped her head into the room. "Five minutes, guys! Five minutes and then we're leaving!"

Mom quickly finished touching up my hair and make-up before we began rushing towards the car. "All done. Make sure you've got your camera before we leave."

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. All of the bridesmaids had to wear a purple knee-length dress with a silver waistband. My hair was tied up in a neat ponytail. I was also sporting heels, which I hadn't done since I was five - the last time I attended a wedding.

We all arrived at the church twenty minutes behind schedule. I quickly met up with Xander in the foyer and handed him my equipment. "You know what to do, right?"

"Yep. I know where the RECORD button is," he joked. "Relax, I've got it covered."

"Okay. Where's Nadia?"

Xander sighed. "She said she can't make it. She's still on vacation with her parents."

"Oh," I said. "Nice suit." I gave him some last-minute instructions before walking up the aisle.

There were five other bridesmaids. Some of them were around my age, but I didn't know who any of them were. As I made my way up the aisle, I noticed my parents sitting near the front. My mom grabbed my attention by mouthing at me to smile. I wish I could have mouthed back, "No one cares!" but instead I just put on a tight smile and kept walking until I reached the end of the aisle. All of the bridesmaids positioned themselves in the front of the church as we waited for the bride to arrive.

Annie was a further fifteen minutes late, but she looked elegant in her beautiful white dress.

Dylan walked Annie up the aisle. I'd never seen him look so proud. He was wearing a black tuxedo and a huge grin as he led his older sister towards her soon-to-be-husband. The two of them shared a long hug before Annie joined Brian standing in front of the pastor.

Dylan caught my eye as he positioned himself behind Brian. He smiled at me. I smiled back.

It was a beautiful ceremony. The vows were exchanged and the rings were worn and before I knew it, Annie and Brian were officially husband and wife.