Chapter 21- Waterland

Start from the beginning

He stopped, looking straight ahead. "Like that. "

In front of us was an empty pool that would've been awesome for skateboarding. It was at least fifty yards across and shaped like a bowl.

Around the rim, a dozen bronze statues of Cupid stood guard with wings spread and bows ready to fire. On the opposite side from us, a tunnel opened up, probably where the water flowed into when the pool was full. The sign above it read, THRILL RIDE O' LOVE: THIS IS NOT YOUR PARENTS' TUNNEL OF LOVE!

I crept toward the edge. "Guys, look. "

Marooned at the bottom of the pool was a pink-and-white two-seater boat with a canopy over the top and little hearts painted all over it. In the left seat, glinting in the fading light, was Ares's shield, a polished circle of bronze.

"This is too easy, " I said. "So we just walk down there and get it?" but a particular cupid statue got my attention, running my fingers along the base of the nearest Cupid statue,"There's a Greek letter carved here, " I said. "Eta. I wonder... "

Luke took a deep breath. "I'm going down there. "

"I'll go with you. " Beck didn't sound too enthusiastic, but I got the feeling he was trying to make up for what had happened in St. Louis.

"No, " Luke told him. "I want you to stay up top with the flying shoes. You're the Red Baron, a flying ace, remember? I'll be counting on you for backup, in case something goes wrong. "

Beck puffed up his chest a little. "Sure. But what could go wrong?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling. Percy, come with me-"

"Are you kidding?" I looked at him as if he'd just dropped from the moon. My cheeks were on fire.

"What's the problem now?" Luke demanded.

"Me, go with you to the ... The 'Thrill Ride of Love'?"

"Fine, " Luke told me. "I'll do it myself. " But when I started down the side of the pool following him muttering about complications and preferences.

We reached the boat. The shield was propped on one seat, and next to it was a lady's silk scarf. I tried to imagine Ares and Aphrodite here, a couple of gods meeting in a junked-out amusement-park ride. Why?

Then I noticed something I hadn't seen from up top: mirrors all the way around the rim of the pool, facing this spot. We could see ourselves no matter which direction we looked. That must be it. While Ares and Aphrodite were smooching with each other they could look at their favorite people: themselves.

I picked up the scarf. It shimmered pink, and the perfume was indescribable-rose, or mountain laurel. Something good. I smiled, a little dreamy, and was about to rub the scarf against my cheek when Luke ripped it out of my hand and stuffed it in his pocket. "Oh, no you don't. Stay away from that love magic. "

"What?"

"Lets just get the shield and let's get out of here."

The moment Luke touched the shield, I knew we were in trouble, "Wait, " I said.

"Too late. " Luke

"There's another Greek letter on the side of the boat, another Eta. This is a trap." Noise erupted all around us, of a million gears grinding, as if the whole pool were turning into one giant machine.

Beck yelled, "Guys!"

Up on the rim, the Cupid statues were drawing their bows into firing position. Before I could suggest taking cover, they shot, but not at us. They fired at each other, across the rim of the pool. Silky cables trailed from the arrows, arcing over the pool and anchoring where they landed to form a huge golden asterisk. Then smaller metallic threads started weaving together magically between the main strands, making a net.