Time to settle things down

Chapter 6: Adrianne Bellmore

It’s halfway across second period, our subject is calculus. And Shira’s a week absent. I tried to talk to her but every time I visit, Tita Maseha, her aunt, keeps brushing me away saying “Now is not a good time. Just give her some more rest.” But how long will I wait? A day? An hour? A week again?  What will I do if I do talk to her? Should I  just let it be? But--

“Are you okay, Mr. Bellmore?” Sir Cabanan asked interrupting my thoughts. He’s our calculus teacher. A very friendly, concern and trustworthy teacher. Mid 40’s stands 170 cm tall white haired fully bearded, wears glasses and usually wears long sleeves.

“I’m fine,” I lied with a fake smile. But Sir Cabanan can read me, by my mood I guess.

“You looked bothered though, you know if you need some rest you can go to the nurse’s office.” He said with concern.

“I’m fine sir, thank you for your concern.” I replied. Sir Cabanan nod and ended our small talk.

It’s a dark cloudy day, basing from it sooner or later it’s going to rain. From the window, I’m staring blankly over the horizon, wishing for some miracle to drop from the sky and turn everything back to normal, where Ira and I are peacefully walking our way home or chit-chatting after class.

The bell rang and second period ended like nothing happened, well for me. It’s break time. I’m not hungry and even so, I don’t feel like eating. I turned mu head and I caught Alice look at me. She looks worried; I won’t blame her I haven’t eaten properly for days. Back in my apartment I’ll only cook for her and watch her eat, wash the dishes take a shower, study then sleep. And in the morning I’ll eat a slice or two of bread take a shower and go to school. She stood up and ran outside.

15 minutes passed and I just can’t stop thinking about Shira. I feel sad at the same time guilty. I feel, tired and weak. My vision blurred then I blacked out, the last one I saw in my vision is a girl with black hair and red eyes. It’s Shira! I reached up and called her but I feel soo tired and weak that I only managed to moved my hand a little and whisper her name.

ꕤ-*-*-*-*-*-ꕤ

It’s dark and foggy. I hear an ambulance and police nearby. Where am I? I asked myself. I tried to move but my feet are stuck in a driver’s seat. “Help!” I shouted but nobody answered, I tried to call for help again but my voice cracked and my larynx felt dry and painful. I looked beside me, and a light blinded my eyes. A flashlight!

“Are you okay there son? Just hang on a little more we’re gonna get you out of there.” A police officer said keeping me awake. It’s very important to keep the person from an accident awake because when they fell asleep they might get coma or worse, die.

I tried answer but nothing came out of my mouth. I felt tired and dizzy.

“Hey! Hey! Don’t fall asleep” the officer said then someone shook me and then I woke up.

“Adie!” Ira said crying and hugging me.

“Shira!” I said, I felt scared and alone, I hugged her, and hugged her tighter.

“Shhh. You’re dreaming, it’s alright” Shira said calming me down. She pushed back and looked at me.

“Sorry--“  I tried to say it, that’s what I’ve been planning to say when I saw her but.

“Shh. ” Shira cut me off. I looked at her eyes, and I can tell hat she’s telling me “this is not the right time". “You’re in a hospital” Shira pointed out. It does feel weird from the nurse’s office.

I looked around confused, what’s happening. The walls are white, the ceiling is white, there’s a fridge and a TV, a bench in front of the TV and it has a nice view of the city from the window. “What happened?” I asked curiously though I have a hunch of what happened.

“Well the doctor said that you blacked out due to lack of nutrients in your body,” Shira explained “he also said that you’re dehydrated.” Shira said her eyes worried at the same time a little angry. “Answer me, what happened while I was gone?” Shira asked.  

My stomach tightened. I don’t know what to say. “Well...” I started but nothing more came out from my mouth. My larynx felt like what’s on my dream, or nightmare. It feels painful.

We sat there in awkward silence for a few minutes. I gathered my wits and said “Shira, I’m sorry for what happened last week. I tried to talk to you but--“

“Adie,” Shira tried to stop me. I know she doesn’t want to hear this now. But when? When will we finish this?

“Just listen!” I shouted, oops, but I continued I don’t want to waste this time that we’re alone “I tried to talk to you and explain but Tita Maseha said it’s not a good time so I waited and waited” I said “I waited for seconds, minutes, hours, days and a week,” I paused “and you’re finally here.” I said looking at her eye to eye “I just wanted to say sorry for making you feel bad, and there’s nothing between Alice and I. Please forgive me.” I finished. I took a few minutes before she replied.

“It’s okay. It’s not like I care about you and Alice,” she said looking away, she looks shy and it’s cute ^^ “Hey, Adie,” she said looking down blushing and after a long pause she just said “Nevermind” while smiling.

“Are you done?” A girl went out under my bed it made me and Shira jump, yes I jumped off from the gatch bed where I was lying. “I was worried!” Alice said then hugged me then kissed me on the cheeks.

“How long were you there?” I asked, then I had chills, I slowly turned my head. BAM! Ira punched me with a left hook that’ve hit me hard on my sides. “Hey I just woke from a black out!” I demanded.

“But you said there is NOTHING between you and Alice?!” Shira shouted. What are the odds? Just woke up then fixed everything and here we go again. Yuppie! Well I guess this is normal.

“But there is nothing!” I said demandingly.

“Nothing? But I’m your girlfriend and you’re my boyfriend.” Alice said innocently. Come on. Seriously?

“No we’re not!” I defended myself. Then Alice said something that made me go B-I-N-G-O.

“But we made a contract and,” She said, please don’t say it “we kissed as a proof of validity to our contract.” She said looking at Shira like mocking her.

“What are you trying to say?” Shira said. She looks angry.

“That Adie’s mine,” Alice dared “And I don’t like to share” she glared at Shira.

“Uhm guys? I tried to go between them. Well for other boys this might be a dream come true two cute gals fighting over you. But trust me this is a NIGHTMARE!

“You get out of this!” They said, cutting me off in unison.

“Oh yeah, by the way. I heard everything. ‘Shh. You’re dreamning. It’s okay’  huh” Alice said teasing Ira. “Well I’ll tell you one thing. Adie is mine.” Alice said holding my arm.

“First of all Adie belongs to nobody and if there will be it’s me!” Shira shouted pissed. “I met Adie when we were 5!” She said then suddenly stopped. What nonsense? 5? We met when we were 10.

“So what? I already kissed him.” Alice said. If this ends up on a fight then a draw and they will let me choose who wins, I’ll pick my pillow T.T

“Guys please stop.” I said pleading hiding behind my pillow. I mean they might suddenly punch me.

“First of all it’s your fault why did you kiss her?! Second I had enough of her nonsense so I’m gonna end it now.” Shira said reasonably. I mean I agree on what she said but I'm not rooting that she'll kill Alice. “You want a fight?!” Shira asked, oh yeah she’s pissed. We’re screwed.

Alice stood up. “Bring it on.” She accepted Shira’s challenge. But then someone entered the room. A women around the age of 34 with light brown hair and dark brown eyes standing 165 cm.

“My oh my. My little Adie now has two girls,” It’s Tita Mavis, my aunt, the one who took care of me when my parents died.