Meeting the Volturi

"I didn't think you'd be apposed to grand theft auto." Alice replies to Bella who had commented on the car. I sat squished in the back seat as Alice raced towards the city. We don't have much time. It's almost noon, and we still have to make it through that freaking parade. Leave it to Edward to come out of the blood closet on the day they celebrate the expulsion of vampires. He has a flair for the dramatics, just like Rosalie. I guess that's why they can't get along.
"W-What're all of these people doing in the middle of the street, a-and in red robes?" Bella hurries.
"It's a parade, to commemorate the expulsion of vampires from the city."
"W-Where do I find him?" Bella asks.
Alice proceeds to tell her the directions and I'm sure if my heart were to still have a beat, it'd be making me dizzy right about now.
Bella speeds away and I clump into the passenger seat as officers approach our car. Alice and I look to each other before she rolls down our windows so one officer can talk on either side of the car.
"Cars aren't allowed here today." The one on my side tells me and I try my hardest to display an earnest regretful noise as I look to Alice and then to myself.
"We completely forgot, I thought the parade was tomorrow! I-I am so sorry officer." I apologize, taking off my sunglasses and looking him in the eye. I see sweat gather at his hair line and I hear his pulse race as I give him a regretful expression.
"I-It's okay, we can let it slide just this once." He says and I look to the other officer who nods frantically.
"Really? Thank you! I am truly sorry again." I apologize as Alice and I clamber out of the stolen vehicle and make our way through the crowds.
"This way." Alice says. I follow her, expertly weaving through the crowds.
"I saw you." Alice breaks.
"What're you talking about." I shoot at her.
"I saw you break the treaty. Right after I saw Bella." She says and I clench my jaw tightly.
"I had to make sure she wasn't dead. It happened on my watch. That means it was my responsibility."
"You've changed, Thea." Alice says and I nod.
"Yeah, yeah I know."
"Not in a bad way." She corrects and I look to her in confusion.
"You're more serious. I think... Everything that happened was so that you can be with Jasper. Forever this time." She says before we burst through the doors to the Volturi castle.
"Come on guys, it's a festival. We wouldn't want to make a scene." Alice smirks as we take off our scarves and sunglasses. My eyes frantically make their way to the only heart beat in the room and clinging to her side is my brother. Edward. I let out a soundless sigh and rest my hand to my forehead. She made it. Bella saved him. He looks to me and I smile before his eyes go wide. He looks me over and the emotion in his eyes... that's fear.
Wait. The Volturi. They... They don't know who I am. What if they find out what I am? Will they kill me? Oh my god.
I look to Edward again and he nods his head. I turn to run out but a crippling agony floods my system. I crumple to the floor with a scream that makes me want to claw my own ears out. This pain was equal, if not more intense than when I was turned.
"Jane!" I hear Edward yell and then the pain is gone, as if it never happened.
"Aro wishes to speak with you. All of you." She clarifies and I look up from the ground at the rat faced bitch with way too much black makeup. It makes her yellow bun look like the color of plaque build up on teeth that haven't been brushed in a while.
Alice helps me to me feet and leads me into the elevator where I stand in between her and Bella. Edward was on Bella's other side and the elevator music makes me want to burn the building to the ground. I want to set that girl's eyelashes on fire. I want to charr her face black with smoke.
"Thea." Edward warns and I take a deep breath, staring at the floor in an angered terror. If they find out what I can do... There's no telling what they'll do to me. Or how they'll handle me. What if they kill me, then I won't be able to see Jasper again. I have to see him. No matter what happens, I have to get back to Jasper. And if I have to burn the building down then so be it.
I look to the woman who greets us in Italian but I quickly look up to the ceiling, trying to distract myself with the cracking molding.
"is she human?" Bella asks.
"Yes." Edward replies and I look to the back of his head and then at the two goons on either side of me.
"Does she know?" Bella asks again as her heart beat gives away her nervousness.
"Yes." Edward replies again and I look to the back of Bella's head, trying to judge her reaction.
"Then why would... She wants to be..."
"And so she will be." The blonde to my immediate left replies to Bella's incomplete statements.
"For dessert." Jane finalizes in a superficial tone. As if the death of a human life is insignificant. She opens the doors and we walk into a dome of a room.
"Sister. We send you out to get one and you bring back three. And a half. Such a clever girl." Jane's brother is the first to speak. Alec. The Cullen's tell me he can emit a black smog that impairs your motor skills.
"What a happy surprise!" The man in the middle rises from his throne with his arms held up in welcome. Though I don't feel very welcomed. I feel suffocated. Threatened.
"Bella is alive after all." He smiles and approaches us as we come to a haunt in front of him.
"Isn't that wonderful." He says in a light tone. Giving off a facade of kinship.
"I love a happy ending." He adds before taking Edward's hand in his own, the hand Bella was so desperately clinging to. I take a small breath in before sliding my hand into her other and allowing her to grip onto it. I lean to Bella's ear but she doesn't get as frightened as she would have an hour ago.
"He can see what has happened in your past by touch." I whisper to her but I'm pretty sure they've all heard. This is the Volturi after all. And the man in front of us, touching my brother's hand, is Aro himself. The head of the Vampires.
"Her blood appeals to you so much." He says and his blood red eyes avert to Bella who fidgets closer to me and I let her squeeze my marble hand.
"It makes me thirsty." He smiles to Edward who tries his best at an emotionless mask. Though he isn't the best at those these days.
"How can you stand to be so close to her?" Aro inquires.
"It's not without difficulty." Edward responds honestly. There is no lying here. That'll get you killed.
"I can see that." Aro chuckles.
"Now you know everything. So get on with it." Edward responds rudely. As if this man couldn't massacre our entire family.
"You are quite the soul reader yourself, Edward." Aro smiles to him but his eyes keep flickering to Bella.
"Though you can't read Bella's thoughts." He adds. "Fascinating." He whispers strongly with great curiosity. Aro takes three paces back.
"I would love to see... If you are an exception to my gifts as well." Aro says before offering his hand.
"Would you do me the honor." He states but there is no real honor in touching a human. His posture makes that very clear. I release Bella's hand and I see Aro's eyes flicker to me for a moment before focusing on Bella once more. I quickly look to the floor, as if averting my gaze would some how make me invisible.
Aro grasps Bella's hand in both of his and I could see the goose bumps litter her skin and the hairs on her hand stand on end. Her body wants to flee. She knows she is the prey. Aro's head shoots up and looks at her, as if unsatisfied.
"Interesting." The tone of his voice has dropped an octave.
"I see nothing." He says and releases her hand, turning his back to us and walking away if only a couple paces.
"I wonder if... Let us see if she is immune to all our powers." Aro decides and turns his body to us but looks at Jane.
"Shall we Jane?" He asks as if Bella is his own science experiment. Like dose ting a frog in biology. And she is. She's just human.
"No." Edward decides and runs towards Jane.
"Pain." She murmurs and Edward falls to the floor in agony. I see the smile on her face and hear Bella's heart race.
"Stop! Stop, please stop!" She shouts and takes a step in Edward's direction but Alec holds her back.
"Stop!" She shouts and Alice kneels beside Edward. I remain standing by Bella.
"Just stop hurting him, please! Please!" She looks at Aro.
"Jane." He mutters and I can hear a ringing in my ears. I want to leave.
"Master." She replies and I try not to cringe.
"Go ahead my dear." Aro says and she then looks to Bella.
"This may hurt just a little." But nothing happens. Before Aro laughs with a clap of his hands. Only one.
"Remarkable. She confounds us all. So what do we do with you now?" He ponders.
"You already know what you are going to do Aro." The man with the long hair breathes.
"She knows too much." The blonde says. "She's a liability." He says and Aro sighs in the way that confirms their statements. They're going to kill Bella. I look around frantically before my eyes land on Edward. I can stop them. Just give me the word and I'll do it.
"that's true... Felix." Aro says.
"No." Edward says once again, to me and to Aro before flipping Bella over his shoulder. Then all hell breaks loose. Edward and Alice collide with the goons. Edward is slammed into the marble floor, cracking his face. Felix turns to Bella and I jump in front of her with an unforgiving hiss. He makes his way towards us but Edward body slams him.
"Stick with me Bella." I tell her and I feel her move closer as I look all around.
"Please! No! No!" Bella shouts as Felix starts ripping Edward's head off. I hold her back and try not to burn her.
"Please! PLEASE!!" Bella screeches so Aro stops Felix.
"Kill me, kill me." Bella says with conviction so I hesitantly release her.
"Not him." She shakes her head no, her heart racing wildly as Aro looks to her.
"How extraordinary. You would give up your life for someone like us. A vampire. A soulless monster." Aro says as he approaches Bella.
"Just get away from her." Edward tries but Felix is too strong.
"You don't know, a thing, about his soul." Bella argues and I couldn't help the smile on my face. Bella's biggest weakness, and her one true strength, is her love for Edward.
"This is a sadness." Aro sighs.
"If only it'd be your intention to give her immortality." He says before looking back to Bella who's trying to allow herself to die. And just before he could bite Bella, Alice chimes in.
"Wait! Bella will be one of us! I've seen it. I'll change her myself." She says and Aro offers his hand to her and Alice takes off one of her gloves.
"Mesmerizing. To see what you have seen before it has happened. Your gifts will make for an intriguing immortal. Isabella. Go now. Make your preparations."
"Let's be done with this." But after that I could not hear. We have been given a second chance. By the Volturi. Bella will become immortal. We can all go home. I can see Jasper again. I can tell him everything. I can give him all those letters I've written. I can... I can... I can...
"And... Who are you my dear?" Aro's attention finally focuses on me and I can hear my family pause at the door. I clench my jaw as to not look back on them and I face each pair of Volturi eyes.
"I am Xanthia Cullen." I answer him and he looks me over.
"Yes of course." He mumbles before I nod my head and scurry out of the doors before he could ponder further. We pass by a group of tourists and as the grand doors open, the screams of horror file put. Bella turns but I obscure her view as Edward and Alice keep her moving.