Chapter Twenty Nine: The Longer I Run

Start from the beginning

Still laughing, Jace got me a basket to put in my dream's worth of tasty snacks. I took one look at his happy face and it took a lot in me not to stare at him. I popped my favorite flavor into my mouth to distract myself. Damn, that smile's just unfair. I took another peek and my breath hitched in my throat. He doesn't always smile to his eyes, but he seemed to be in a good mood right now.

He had gotten a trolley and we were walking along the endless –sarcasm- shelves in the huge –sarcasm again- supermarket. There was a lot of variety here. Not. I worried if we would be able to find everything we needed when I caught sight of a few girls in the store as well. They were looking at Jace and whispering among each other about him. A girl even put up her phone to silently take his picture, but he coincidently turned away at the right moment and I mentally hoorayed. Serves you right, stalker! Taking pictures without permission is a crime anyway.

Grinning, I looked at Jace again, as we turned to the next aisle. It took a while, but we managed to get everything. We didn't talk much. In fact, we didn't talk at all. Every time I looked at Jace, he looked tense. It was as if he was nervous about something. We had reached the counter and Jace was starting to unload the trolley along with the helper female who seemed to be getting too close to him. What would he be nervous about? Did he forget to get something? Was he hungry? Which reminded me, I haven't eaten anything since lunch in the hotel cafeteria, which, by the way, was a veg sandwich.

As if on cue, my stomach growled and Jace laughed out loud. I blushed.

You had to growl when another female is trying to flirt with Jace, didn't you? I scolded my stomach.

Wait a minute. Why do I care? Pfft. Not like I want Jace. "Was that thunder, Allyn?" he asked, snickering and I chose to glare at him and keep my mouth shut. I was less nervous about being alone with him now and that felt good. However, I noticed when the helper handed him the bag, she made her hand brush against his. My lollipop broke.

I took two bags while Jace took the rest, I didn't want to help him, playing the angry card, and we walked to the car. After putting everything in the trunk, instead of getting into the car, Jace said 'Come on.' I looked at him puzzled 'Excuse me but car's this way.' He rolled his eyes 'We're not going back yet, I want to eat something other than what they serve at that cafeteria.' He continued walking towards the McDonald's right next to the supermarket we were in. Wait.. is he doing this for me? Realizing that I wasn't walking, he turned around. 'What?' he asked, his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket. 'I can't eat there.' I muttered. He walked back towards me and I was starting to feel the effects of his presence; my breath hitched. 'Why not?' he removed his hands and they now lay at his sides. Why am I not looking up? 'I've run out of cash, Jace.' I heard him scoff. 'Excuse me, but' he said this time and his voice sent shivers down my back 'I'm still here, aren't I? I won't let my friend be hungry. We still have more than half an hour to reach the hotel. Sorry, but I can't bear listening to all that thunder from your stomach as we drive back.' That made me smile. Friend, huh? I finally looked up. I wish I hadn't, though. As soon as I saw him, his smile and the way his eyes looked into mine playfully, my heart felt like it had just received an electric shock. His grin widened when I had made eye contact with him, and he caught my wrist, pulling me towards McDonald's while goosebumps spread all over my body at his touch. He really was doing this for me...

I gasped.

You are so done, Jessie.

I could hear my heart thumping loud in its cage and my cheeks were heating up. In fact, it felt like my entire body was heating up, as if I was in a micro wave.

Well, I'm sheesh kebab anyway.

I like Jace.

I like Jace.

Damn it, I like Jace.

I looked at the hand clutching my wrist. My eyes travelled up it, to Jace's shoulder. His hair was longer than it was when I had first met him. In that café. I walked faster, reaching his side. I was overly aware of his hand still holding my wrist. I continued looking at him. His straight nose, his sharp jawline... his silver eyes, even though I couldn't see the color now. It surprised me, how many of his features I had already memorized. Since I was 12. I exhaled. I remembered the way his eyes widened when he saw my in the café, the first time. We had recognized each other immediately. I looked at his long neck. Do I mean anything to him? Anything special? I shook my head.

Stop it, Jessie.

Don't think any further about this. If I do, Jace will get hurt. A were can't love a human. Especially a white wolf. I can kill him in a breath, and I won't even mean to. I looked away. Forget it, Jessie. This is not my decision. It's not my decision. It's already decided. It's not a choice. I am the White Wolf. I have tremendous power that Jace can't dream of. Heck, if something does happen between Jace and I, I'm sure he'll run away before I completely even tell him what I can do; before I even turn into my other form in front of him. I exhaled. It's settled then. I will not interact with him more than I need to. I looked at him again and inhaled sharply.

I am so done for.

Seriously, which human is like this? How can he be so perfect? I swear, all that testosterone...

I shook my head again and almost hit myself. Get it together, wolf! After what seemed like forever, we reached Micky D's, and I exhaled after Jace let go of my arm to open the double door for both of us. I caught my breath again when he caught my hand again. I looked at his face- well, the side of his face, cause he wasn't facing me. What is he thinking? How can he so casually hold my hand when I am having a tornado inside my chest right now because of his touch.

He directly walked towards the counter and once we reached, he looked at me. 'What would you have, milady?' he asked in a royally charming accent. I ignored my burning ears and smiled. 'Why, I would like to have a happy meal, please.' Jace smirked and held up my hand to his lips. 'And I would like to have you.' He kissed my hand and I just couldn't help it anymore. I laughed while inside I was having a war about my feelings and trying to ignore the very tingly goosebumps everywhere. 'Oh Mr. Smooth.' I lightly hit him while my heart skipped another beat at how close we were behaving. When did we get so close? Obviously, it must have been some time ago if my feelings for him had increased so much. Jace ordered a McFlurry with oreos while I tried to calm myself down. What's this really uncomfortable feeling? Why can't I control myself at all?

We took a seat, a table for two when we got the food. I scanned the restaurant. Idiot, I was supposed to scan my surroundings as soon as I entered the place in case of any threat. Jace, you are ruining all that I have trained for. I looked at him and noticed that he was looking around the room as well, as if searching for something or someone. I raised an eyebrow. Is he nervous about something? Can't be food, we have it right in front of us. I stared intently. What is it, Jace?

Jessie, he does not like you. You two fight all the time. There's no way he likes you. He's just being funny.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I quickly checked it. It was just an app recommendation. I kept my phone on the table, muttering about how stupid it is. Hearing my complaints, Jace gave a slight smile.

I sighed and munched on my burger. The kiss he gave on my hand invaded my mind and I shivered. Gotta keep my distance from this boy. 'So, Allyn,' he put a spoonful of ice-cream in his mouth and I avoided looking at his lips. 'Yes?' 'Let's play a game.' He said and I gulped, trying to ignore how sexy his husky voice sounded when he said that. And then I blushed. Ugh, my head is full of it. Or should I say 'him'? 'A-alright. Which game?' I managed to say, taking another bite. 'Hmm...' his voice is so perfect 'How about twenty questions?' He grinned.

In my mind, there was a party going on. Should I be excited to get to know Jace more, or should I run hide in the bathroom because of how I just realized my feelings for this perfect creature? Scary. Very scary. The love song playing in the restaurant didn't help.

I nodded. This should be fun. Gulp.