Chapter 2: SAHARA ONWARD

When they got back to camp, Bilan watched as they drained the animal's blood and skinned it.

This, she had seen done before.  She had sneaked into the kitchens before and watched the cooks do it.

"I'm proud of you," Coleman said, clapping his son hard on the back.

Peter smiled up at his dad, nervously. He was unused to this kind of open praise.

Coleman gave Bilan one of Peter's spare hunting jumpers to wear. It fit so loosely, she had to tie the belt, to keep from tripping over the cuffs at her feet.

They stayed in Africa for a few weeks more, before it was time to head back to the coast and the ship that had brought them there.

Lee and Coleman sat at the low burning fire at dusk, watching the children play with each other.

Nadir was the highest ranking man among the workers native to the land, a Berber, with skin that complimented the deep indigo stained clothes he wore.

It was he who had not liked the presence of the young girl, and spoken up about it. And it was he who most understood the true consequences of taking her.

So, he chanced a conversation on the subject. 

"Sir." he said as sipped his coffee.

"We are close to your ship. What is it you plan on doing with the girl, once we get to the coast?"

Lee turned to look at Coleman as if to assert the same question.

Coleman took his time and drank a few drafts of coffee, -his spiked with vodka.

"I have not decided, yet." he said as he watched his son laughing with her.

"-Sir?" Lee said, looking incredulous.

"What do you mean, you haven't decided.  Of course, she is to come with us."

"Since when do you make the decisions, boy?"

He had only just raised his voice, but Lee had withered some.

 Still, he refused to back down. He knew his boss's pattern. Often feigning indecision until it was time to make a decision, at which time he could be quite unsympathetic.

"You must bring her along, sir. You know what would happen to her," he said, looking pointedly at Nadir.

"She will be returned to her village once you are gone.  And what of Peter?"

"He will adjust." he said. 

"And besides, I may take her along...I need to think on it."

He got up from the fireside and paced away from camp, leaving Nadir and Lee to grit their teeth at one another.

This had been on his mind for some time and in fact, he really was considering taking her onboard with him. She had grown on him. She really was such a sweet gentle girl who never complained. His wife would likely be taken with her, as well.

...But she was also a black African. He did not think she belonged in Canada, despite the presence of many other blacks there.

The native Canadian blacks could carve out a living, often doing manual labor, and the girl had proven tough. But something else did concern him, nagging the very back of his mind.

She was a pretty girl, extraordinarily so, even at this age.  His son seemed to have a developed warm feelings for her. It would likely fade, as childish things do, but it also might not.