Chapter Twenty-Three

Parker's POV

I woke up one day feeling just a year older. Well, I was a year older. It was my twenty-eighth birthday. I had a smile on my face as I woke up. The sun rays were shining through the open cracks in the curtains. Squinting, I roamed one arm on my other side where Eleanor was suppose to be. Not feeling anything of her, I sat up curiously. Was it too much to ask to wake up on my birthday with my wife?

Frowning, I swung my legs over my bed and padded out of the room. I took the entire day off, so I didn't have to worry that it was already mid-morning. 

"Happy birthday, Daddy!" 

I turned around and saw Luke running towards me. I bent down just in time for him to launch himself into me. "Whoa. Thank you buddy." I laughed hugging him to me. "Where's your brother and mum?"

"Still playing," he explained bringing his head further from mine to look at me. "Momma's in the kitchen talking on the phone."

Once the words were out of his lips, I retreated into the colossal kitchen. Sure enough, there was my sweet Eleanor pacing around the kitchen island speaking briskly into the home phone. "Are you sure he's going to  love it?" A pause. "Alright. Thank you for your help, Ellie. I'll be sure to tell him! Goodbye!"

"Hi Momma!" Luke announced our presence.

Eleanor's eyes flew to me then to her son. She smiled warmly and looked at me again. "I guess Luke beat me to it, huh?"

I adjusted Luke to one arm and opened up my other arm. "It's never too late."

She invited herself into my arm giving me the best hug she could with our son in it also. "Happy birthday, Parker. I'll be sure to make up for that lame birthday greeting later." A rosy color flushed her cheeks as soon as she said that. She looked away shyly and walked into the dining room. 

I raised an eyebrow at the back of her head and followed her. "Were you talking to Ellie?"

"Yeah, she, um, called to tell you happy birthday," Eleanor looked at me expectantly at the back of her chair. "I made Augusto cook your favorite breakfast. I would have cooked it myself, but er, I kind of did it the wrong way." I could bet. One of the many imperfect things about my wife was that she couldn't cook very well. It was alright though, she made up for it in other ways.

I set Luke down and pulled the back of my chair. "Wow, this looks delicious." I looked up to see her relaxed face. "Any plans for the birthday boy?" I winked.

Another blush formed on her cheeks. "Agatha called yesterday while you were at work... She invited us over for dinner tonight. Then I have my own surprises for you afterwards."

My eyebrows shot up high into my foreheads than before. "Really?"

Eleanor blushed deeper and nodded before retreating to the kitchen. "I'll tell you more when the time comes!" Her distant voice yelled, then soon came back with an envelope in her hands. "I have something for you."

I gingerly took the sealed envelope from her and opened it curiously. Peeking up from me were two tickets to the Euro football championships. With wide eyes I turned my gaze to see Eleanor seated with her eyes locked on me. "Wow. I totally forgot about this. Thanks babe." I took her hand in mine kissing the back of it gently.

She shook her head taking a sip of her orange juice with her free hand. "It's not from me." I waited for her to continue. "It's from Caleb. He told me to give it to you for your birthday. He wishes you well."