One Enchanted Night - Prologue,Chapter1&Chapter2

Start from the beginning

That night at the ball she indeed got lots of stares from all the males. Her stomach still didn't give any butterfly wings flutters.

She felt disappointed. She didn't want to become a spinster. She wanted a husband and six children, a husband who would love and cherish her, someone who would hold her and kiss her.

At twenty-one she had never kissed a man and she had never done any of the things that they had described in the steamy romance novels which she wasn't suppose to read. Her parents had watched over her like a hawk.

At a quarter to ten, somebody came in at the door. The hall fell silent and all eyes were on the stranger. She had never seen any man this beautiful, the butterflies in her stomach started fluttering. He was breathtaking in his formal wear. He stood a head above all the other men at the ball. With shiny long blonde hair, a strong chiselled face, piercing green eyes and muscles to die for this man was gorgeous with a capital g.

He oozed that x-factor that made women pant and men want to grab their swords to keep him away from their women.

The women were panting at that moment and the men gave him menacing stares that if looks could kill he would be dead.

He gave a big smile to everyone and showed of his brilliant white teeth. His eyes scoped the room and then it rested on her.

Her heart started pounding in her ears, as he started moving towards her. When he reached her he just said, " Good evening, you must be Miss Genevieve the birthday girl."

She held up her hand and he kissed it. When his lips touched her hand, she shivered. He looked at her with those beautiful eyes.

"I am Stephan, I come from far to give you this gift."

He took a small box out of his pocket and gave it to her. She opened the ornately crafted wooden box. Inside on purple velvet there laid a beautiful emerald ring and earrings. The stones were the same colour as his eyes.

"Stephan this is beautiful, but I cannot accept this, I don't even know you."

He bent over and whispered in her ear before all the people. They were getting odd stares as all the people in the room were watching.

"You do know me Genevieve. I visit you in your dreams quite often. I don't usually meddle in human business, but for you I will definitely make an exception." He winked and then walked over to her parents.

"Monsieur and Madame Gervaise, I have heard about your daughter in the far away kingdom that I live. May I ask your daughter's hand in marriage, that is if she will oblige?"

If this weren't such an unexpected situation, Genevieve would have laughed at the expression of shock on her mother and father's face.

Genevieve was strong willed and stubborn. She was not going to marry a complete stranger just because he said that he knew her. She walked over to where her parents were standing.

"I am over twenty-one and within right to say to whom I want be betrothed. I am sorry Stephan, I don't know you and it is my policy not to get married to a complete stranger."

Her mother gave her a look that said that this is a good time to keep her mouth shut. Nobody knew about the freedom of speech that her family gave her. In this time a woman had no say and it was the head of the house that made all the decisions.

Her father silenced her with the look that he gave her.

She had a sinking feeling that her parents were desperate to find her a husband. Girls at her age were already married and had two children.