One Enchanted Night - Prologue,Chapter1&Chapter2

Start from the beginning

She found it hard to picture it. It was so long ago and now the City was bursting its seams with development. Only the mountain behind her was still left of Mother Nature, as she knew it in her time.

Cape Town's lights were enchanting from her vantage point on Signal Hill.

Breaking the enchantment, she rose and proceeded to her Volkswagen Golf City Sport.

With her long leather coat, flapping against her legs, skinny jeans, V-neck top and high heeled boots, she made quite an impressive picture. Her hair cut into a short pixie style was easier to manage than the long hairstyle that she had to wear for almost two centuries.

As the centuries past she had to adjust to current fashion. Being twenty-one forever wasn't easy. She had to fit in with the local young crowd wherever she called home at that moment in time. Only being able to stay for 8 years at a time, made it very hard. Looking 21 the whole time tended to make people suspicious.

The fact that she was also constantly on the run from the Council didn't make it easier.

Currently her golden brown hair was coloured blonde and she was wearing aquamarine coloured contacts. She had to constantly change her hair and eye colour to ensure that the Council couldn't track her.

The only problem she had was the fact that nothing could curb the loneliness. Not having a person to share her life and dreams with was hard on her. She yearned for a mate to hold her in the daytime while she lay sleeping. Someone to care about and who cared about her.

To think if he hadn't come into her life she would have married Francois and had lots of kids. At least she would have died thinking that she knew love.

Now she was still alive and unhappy. No vampire clan wanted her. It felt like she had the plagues and it was his entire fault. If he had just left her alone she would have been fine.

She started thinking back to that day when they met. She just turned twenty-one. Her parents were wealthy and they had connections at the castle. A ball was held at the castle in honour of her birthday.

Her parents were also hoping to find her a prospective husband at the ball the ball that night. Instead they had invited dead in the form of the Le Clercq family. The Le Clercqs' had fled from France at the start of the French Revolution. As part of the aristocrats they had to get to safety. Unbeknown to the French government Monsieur Le Clercq and his family had started to take their money out of the country a few years before the Revolution started and thus he was a very rich man.

Her parents wanted her to meet the youngest two sons in the hope that she would find a future husband.

The Le Clercq family was hunted by more than just the plebs of Paris. When they invited the Le Clercq family, they also invited their enemies.

Gina could still recall her beautiful gown. It was emerald green, with little golden roses embroided on it. Feitjie had spent 8 weeks to create the dress.

Feitjie still called out the first time she saw Gina in it. "Ah Miss Genevieve, you look breathtaking. You are going to make a few men uncomfortable tonight." Gina just gave a shy smile and looked away. She didn't know much about men. There still wasn't a fluttering feeling in her stomach whenever she saw a man. The books that Feitjie lent from the study, without her father's knowledge, for her described how the heroine usually felt. She hadn't met a man yet who made her feel like that.

"Now we only need to curl your hair, Miss Genevieve." Feitjie piled her hair up high on her head with an emerald comb to secure it.

Feitjie helped her put on some of the rouge that they have 'lent' from her mother's dressing table. The red of the rouge against her porcelain skin was breathtaking. She almost didn't recognise herself in the mirror.