Chapter 27: Echo

Dripping. Icy. Arctic. I was an unhappy camper when I woke up strapped tightly to a chair. I yanked hard at the restraints which earned me a few delighted snickers from around the room. Demons. Countless demons. One was taller than the rest. Brighter eyes. Darker smirk. I knew without asking that he was a sex demon.

I sat taller in my chair, facing my enemies with a scowl and a lot of confidence. They only sneered back at me.

"State your name," the tallest and definitely most dangerous said with a glint of something wicked in his pretty blue eyes.

My name. Well...Amelia was a good kid, right? "Amelia Miller," I said proudly. Made direct eye contact with the sex demon. "Do I get your name or is this name thing a one-way street?"

"One-way street, darling, but I like the enthusiasm."

Right. Be polite. "Thank you, sir," I smiled. I doubted it would take much effort to get on the sex demon's good side said I had Asher wrapped around my finger. "You have gorgeous eyes," I said softly. He smirked, hopped off the desk–did all demons sit on desks rather than in chairs?–and took a few steps closer to me. I spoke softer than before, so only he could hear, "Among other visible physical features."

His eyes traced over every last one of my features before he nodded. "Do you follow orders well, sweetheart?"

I nodded. "Yes, sir."

He nodded back approvingly. "So you'd do as the boss asked?"

"Yes, sir."

"No matter what he asked?"

"No matter what, sir," I flashed a bright smile. He hesitated before smiling back.

"You're very polite, Miss Miller."

"It's only the way I was raised, sir."

He looked to a few other demons in the room. "I'll escort her to Asher's room. Pithius, you're in charge until I get back."

The sex demon pulled a switchblade out of the back pocket of his dress pants–damn, demons were so formal–and cut at the ropes around my wrists. He pointed the blade at me with a dark grin. "Don't move, darling. I don't want to risk that any of the other savage beasts in here get their hands on you."

I folded my freed hands together in my lap. Nodded. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

He leaned down to kiss me. I fought the urge to yank back away from him. He'd kill me. Plus, he was seducing me. Very obviously seducing me. If I was Amelia, I'd be a goner by now. So I had to play the part.

His mouth was unnaturally warm against mine. "We should keep whatever happens between us a secret, darling. Asher wouldn't like it very much if he knew the things I plan to do to you. For you," he mended. I felt my breath hitch. Oh. Shit. "You would let me keep you to myself for a while, right, darling? I can't let a woman as gorgeous as you get away from me."

I gulped. "Anything you want, sir." Too polite. Too. Polite. Oh, God, Ash was going to murder me.

"Excellent," the demon purred and pulled me out of my seat. "We've no time to waste, then, do we?"

"No, sir," I felt my voice slip away.

"Hey, Damien," one of the other demons, probably Pithius, called. The sex demon in front of me looked up. Damien. Wondered what his number was. "Boss-Man wants to talk to the girl. Says it's urgent."

Damien grabbed the phone and led me down a candlelit hallway to an illuminated room. He placed the phone in my hands, kissed my forehead, winked, and disappeared from the room.