Chapter 9

Asher and I were the only ones awake before seven the next morning. Luke was staying home due to a terrible hangover, and Keeva and Connor didn't go to school. I got ready before Asher did, much to my surprise. We were on the road to my house by seven thirty to get my school bag and have Mom look at Asher's wound.

I had to check on Luke before we left. He was still snoring. I nudged his shoulder and he groaned. "What?" he whined.

"We're off to school," I whispered. Luke's blue eyes fluttered open and he smiled a little. "Just wanted to make sure you weren't dead."

"Not yet," he chuckled. "Have a good day. I say good because at public school, good is about the best it'll get."

"True," I ruffled his messy chestnut-brown hair. "I won't be back here tonight. Or any night this week for that matter."

"Friday?"

"I'll be back Friday."

"Good."

"Are you staying here?"

Luke scoffed, "Baby girl, you know I'm not an idiot. I'm only welcome here when you are." He paused. "You should stay home today. Fake being sick. Snuggle me. Or sleep with me," he smirked.

My turn to scoff. "I've been up for all of one hour, and I've lived through three attempted seductions by a majority of the men in the house."

"You know I had to try it again."

"Didn't have to."

Luke shrugged and smiled. "Thank you for taking care of me last night."

"You know me, always taking care of people."

"Everyone but yourself," he muttered. The way his eyes met mine after he said it made it prominently known that he didn't mean for me to hear that. "Well it's true. If you took care of yourself, you wouldn't still be wearing that," he pointed to my left hand.

"I don't have the key, and I'm not letting Asher so close to my hand with a blowtorch," I shrugged. "I should put a jacket on."

"Yeah, you should."

"Don't get short with me, Luke. You just reminded me last night about how we never had an argument. Don't break that streak."

He blinked. Sighed. "I'm sorry...Can I have a hug before you go?"

I nodded. Hugged him tightly. He smelled like whiskey and cologne. He sighed contently. "I love you; have a good day; learn some shit you'll never use."

"I wish you'd quit saying that."

"I know you do. That's why I continue to say it. It makes you miss us, and it confuses you," he shrugged. "And I do love you. Obviously."

"I don't have time for a love triangle," I grumbled and left the room. Ash was stomping up the stairs. I grabbed his bicep and tugged him back down to the floor below. He was yelling. I was ignoring it.

"Echo, are you even listening?!"

"No."

"No?!"

"I don't know why you're so pissed. Again. I didn't tell him I love him. He told me that he loves me. You don't have anything to worry about."

"No, of course not! Just that you two never fight and he says he knows exactly how to treat you and you still care about him and-" I grabbed his keys. Didn't want him angry-driving. "He said it confuses you when he tells you that! Does it?!"